Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just making sure i got this right. 88-00 d-series heads are all interchangeable and intake manifold and exhaust manifold bolt patterns are all the same on the different heads as well. Correct?

·
Registered
801 Posts
yes, D to D, just remember this is a DOHC zc however, and that takes a lot of fab work to make bolt up. so SOHC d to d

IM's and Exhaust should all bolt up but making it work from there is a different story, mainly with sensors and the like.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
yep i read about the dohc zc's. not going anywhere near them lol

any forseeable complications with a z6 bottom, a6 head and a z6 IM with d15b2 hf/std EM?
It is going into 93 civic

Haven't found anything that hinted at an issue.

·
Registered
1988 CRX
544 Posts
yep i read about the dohc zc's. not going anywhere near them lol

any forseeable complications with a z6 bottom, a6 head and a z6 IM with d15b2 hf/std EM?

Haven't found anything that hinted at an issue.
Lack of vtak. :bigugh:

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
Depends on what this is going in? EX/DX/LX/Si?

Like 88CRX said, VTEC is going to be your biggest problem, that I can see anyways.

And what's a "D15B2 hf/std EM"?

·
Defender of the D
2,495 Posts
Webb, Exhaust Manifold..

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
sorry for the confusion i will clarify. I got a lot of stuff in my head(the one on my shoulders lol), just can't remember what is right and wrong. Oh and f*** sohc vtec lol

I'm setting up for a junkyard turbo build. I own a 93 dx hatchback. The plan as of right now is to use a z6 bottom end with an a6 head, a z6 intake manifold and that queer looking exhaust manifold from the 88-91 civics that bmc sells an adapter plate for.

Now lets see if i got my facts straight.
-I am using the z6 bottom end for the pistons so that when i shave the a6 head down the compression still stays low 9's:1 and should get better quench out of the combustion chamber
- The reason i am using an a6 head is because the cam and, iirc, the springs are a bit stiffer too, otherwise if the springs are not stiffer i would just get an a6 cam from the junkyard and put it in my b7 head(would use adj. cam gear). I think this would would be easier because i would not have to worry about distributor, but isn't it a good idea to keep the a6 cam with the head it came out of? Also i am not to sure what else would be different between the a6 and b7 head that i would have to deal with. I don't think there is much though
- The reason for z6 manifold: better flowing and i believe it should be a straight foward install into an obd 1 civic. Please correct me if i am wrong.
- And as for the exhaust manifold, buy $50 adapter plate and you have turbo manifold :) One problem though. I went to the junkyard today and and went through all the 88-91 civics and they all had the downward style.. wtf? Does the manifold come from a crx, not a civic?

awebb why is vtec going to be a problem for me? I am not using a z6 head. Or are you saying that the z6 block has special ports for the z6 head which the a6 head does not have?

I have not started gathering parts yet so i am not sure what everything looks like.
p.s. I am a heavy duty mechanic, not really concerned with a bit of wiring and tinkering a bit :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts