Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey there I am new to the Honda world, I have just got an 88 CRX with an D15b2 that runs, but smokes like a frait trian. At the moment I want to lieve the D15b2 in the car, but I need to find out whats the matter with it. It start up fine, and idles fine, but after it warms up it will stop running, what could cause this. Like I said it smokes but I think the rings or v-guides are shot. I also have a D16y8, and as far as I know it is all stock, and I want to rebiild the Y8 and stick it in the Crx this sping. The Y8 is v-teck, and I want to keep it stock, but want to rebuild the bottom end, what parts and brands would I be better off using to do this.

I am new to the honda world like I said, so I got hold of a d16a1 along with a 5 speed tranny. It say honda on the valve cover and I thought ya I will put this in the CRX along with a short thro shifter I have. this moter came with everything, but was taken apart and need put back together. I later found out that this moter came out of I think it was an 88-89 integra, and will not work in the CRX unless you get a mount-mod kit. If any one is interrested in this D16a1 let me know.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Need help

My D15b2 has problems and need help trying to find out what the cause could be. The problem is atfer it is started it runs fine,it idles fine, and has power out the ass. When it get up to running temp it starts to run rough and looses power, and want to die out. I went out and started it, and I let it get up to running temp and drove it around the hood till it started running rough. I come to a stop and there was steam coming out from under the hood, but the temp guage read nornal. I ask my friend who I bought the car from and he told me the the themp guage works fine. I am at a loose as to what could cause this. I thought it was a blown headgasket, which it may be, but there is know water in the oil that I could see. If any one could clue me in please do

·
FF Misfit
Accord
4,881 Posts
What color is the smoke? Have you compression tested it?

As for the Y8, do you plan to build it for N/A or turbo? If you want to go n/a I do believe that D16A1 your trying to sell has the P29 pistons in it which will give you a CR of around 12:1 or so. Take those, put them in the Y8, and get a Crower Stage 2 cam and you should be able to have some fun w/ it, esp. in a chassis as light as a CRX. If you want to boost it later, I'd rebuild the block w/ Tuner Toys rods and Vitara Pistons, and then work on putting together a turbo kit for it.

Good luck w/ the build and welcome to D-Series. There's a lot of good info and good members here.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The smoke is a grayish-blue colar, and the steam after it was warmed up was also a grayish color

·
FF Misfit
Accord
4,881 Posts
The grayish blue smoke means you're burning oil so I'd do a compression and leakdown test to isolate the problem more. My guess is that either your rings or your valve seals are bad.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The smoke is a grayish-blue color, and I have not tested it as of yet. I plan on pulling the moter and putting in new rings and valve giudes. would it be a good idea reusing the old main bearrings

·
FF Misfit
Accord
4,881 Posts
No, I'd get new OEM rings and color match them to the ones in your engine. As for replacing the valve guides, it'd probably be cheaper to just buy a new head (I'd use a b7) for it or go ahead and do a mini-me w/ the Y8 head until you get the Y8 block built. Or you could just save the money from building 2 engines, build the Y8 right away, and swap it in.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My car is an 88 crx Dx with the D15b2, and it has an automatic with PGR-FI. With that being said wouldnt I need to replace the ECU and wire harmness. The D16y8 v-tec multi port injected came out of a 98 civic ES. Would I need to get a wire harmness and ECU from the model car. I do have the wire harmness from the D16a1 that I think came out of an 88 or 89 Intigra, but the inject plugs are cut of

·
FF Misfit
Accord
4,881 Posts
You should be able to hook most of it up using the current harness. If you have the dual point injection, then you'll need to wire it up for multi-point. Other than that, the instillation should be pretty simple. Just do a search on here and you should be able to find most of the info you're looking for.

·
FF Misfit
Accord
4,881 Posts
For the ECU, you're going to need to get the OBD0 to OBD1 conversion harness and run a P28 ECU when you put the Y8 in. For now though, The ecu you have should be fine.

EDIT: I think the Teg ECU might be a little better but you might want to double check.

·
FF Misfit
Accord
4,881 Posts
Here's a link to some Vitara Pistons for 139.95 w/ free shipping on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vitara-Turbo-Pistons-for-Civic-CRX-Si-D16-ZC-Rings-D16Y_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33623QQihZ005QQitemZ150059542161QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

The TT rods should be right around 225 plus shipping and you'll need to notch the block for them to fit properly. If you do a search, you should be able to find a write-up on how to do it or you can take the the block to a machine shop and have them do it.

·
FF Misfit
Accord
4,881 Posts
OK, I think I might have been wrong on the engine the P29's were in then. I know it was out of the year Teg you have but it might have been the ZC that they came out of. I'll go double check. Wait, no I was right, those should be P29's that you have.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Ya thats my bad, I went and looked at one of them and it has pm 7 on them and by the time I got back to my computer I somehow remembered them as p3. so these are p29 pistons, and would the destribtor from the d16a1 work on the d16y8?

·
FF Misfit
Accord
4,881 Posts
I think it should. When I did a mini-me on my B7 using a Y8 head, I used the B7 dizzy and it worked fine. Just make sure you use the plug wires for the head and not the dizzy. I made that mistake and couldn't get my car to start until I swapped from the B7 wires to the Y8 ones.

If you do a mini-me, you'll also probably want to buy an adjustable cam gear since putting the Y8 head on the D15 block will retard the timing 4 degrees due to the decreased deck height. It won't really hurt it if you don't, it's just advisable that you do.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey Boost, do you know if the intake from the d15b2 will work on the d16y8, if I could use the intake from the d15b2 on the y8 it would save me from having to cut and soldier those wires until I get a better handle on the situation.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Ok I just calculated what parts I am going to use on my y8 build, found a link on another thread for one of those compression calculators, and here is what it came up with----------

I have a D16y8 block and head which will be the base of my build, I also have a D16a1 that was taken completely apart when I bought it. This D16a1 I was told should have had p28 pistons, I went out to my garguage where I have this motor to see if there was any marking on the pistons, and I found there is stempt on the top outside edge pm7. So i am taking it to be these pistons are pm7 pistons.

Here is what I put on the calculator

Block--D16y8 bore 75.00 stroke 90.00
Head--D16y8 32.80
Pistons--pm7, 7.2
Head gasket thivkness--D16y8 two layer
Piston to Deck height--0em D16y8 0.027

Now these nubers are the defaults that were listed with this calculator

here are the numbers they gave me.

Compression ratio 13.648524171978024
Dicplacwment 1590.5858212969924

I dont know much about these number so tell me if thet seem possible

1 - 20 of 23 Posts