Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would there be a need to resurface the deck on a stock block when swapping the cylinder head with one that has been resurfaced?

A stock block never been overheated with a resurfaced head will the head gasket seal fine? I was worried that it would leak coolant and not seal properly. I was under the impression that a engine that has been overheated the block should resurfaced as well as the head because they may have warped slightly. Is that true?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
only way to be sure is to use a known STRAIGHT edge and a feeler guage to check for warpage of the deck. I don't know the allowed tolerances off hand, but a little research on the ol internet will get you what you need.... But if you don't feel like doing all that, take her in and get 'er surfaced

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
the block is less prone to warping even in an over heat situation. think about it when you blow a head gasket does the shop resurface the block? never. its a good idea when doin a real build where you have to disassemble the block. but most cases its no a complete necessity. in my experience even in over heat situation honda heads dont warp much at all. every head i bring to the machine shop i ask how much they have to take off and very rarely is it much at all.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
It would not hurt to take it and get it checked. We had my ZC block checked right before we started to build it and the block had to be decked about .005", which isn't much, but when using a steel hg, it will seal better. Actually i think mine was a factory defect b/c it came from a auto car and doesn't look like it has been ran hot or beat on, and it was lower in the middle than on the two sides. If you were to go back with something like a stock a6/zc composite hg (like it had stock) then it probably wouldn't have been a problem. Better safe than sorry i promise.

·
my dd has 1800 ftlbs of torque
3,890 Posts
if you have the block out of the car and taken apart i think it would be good preventitive maitence, i dont know how much they would charge you but if it not much i would do it also it would raise compression

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The block is in the car and I'm going to be doing this at home so I really can't get the car towed to a machine shop and have them shave some off the block.

I was going to check the straightness of the block but I'm guessing as long as it's not much off I can go ahead and slap on a metal HG and put the new head on.

How many people run a non OEM waterpump and did it last?

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
just check the deck for warpage with a straight edge. if its within spec. , there's no point in spending more money to have the deck resurfaced. cause I'm pretty sure you have to completely disassemble the block to even do it, which is a rebuild, even if they could do it without taking apart the block would you want to take the chance that shit doesn't get into your motor.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
im using a gates New water pump. its the only one besides oem i would use. and the only reason i use it is because im gonna change my timing belt before 60k anyways and at 50 bucks for the pump ill change it then at the same time. i know oem will go for longer but if your not gonna wait that long to change the belt then why spend the extra cash. me personally would not trust other brand pumps though. i've been using gates pumps with oem belts for years with no problems.

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
I've used autozone, shucks, etc. water pumps and timing belts with no problems. I only got oem timing belt and water pump for my current build cause I got the belt for free and the pump for cheaper then schucks or a very very little bit more where you might as well get oem.

same goes with everything else though, I never shop strictly at dealerships for parts for anything, unless its soomething specific they only have or its a better deal, which in some cases its actually close if not better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts