Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Black Dynamite
1991 HONDA Civic
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swapped my transmission because I blew it and for some strange reason it took us awhile to start it. but we got it running. now my car worked perfect before we swapped the transmission it sat at the shop for a week. but for some other reason it wouldn't stay running the battery had died just sitting there at the shop and we had to jump it. and of course everytime we let off the gass to let it idle the car would die so we started it one more time and took off the battery to see if the car would stay running and it died what do you think the problem is ?

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Definately alternator!

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Clutchmaster said:
but why would the alternator go out just from changing the tranny
Check your grounds!

·
Black Dynamite
1991 HONDA Civic
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
check grounds okay here's the weird thing I used a different battery and started the car fine. checked voltage with my volmeter and got 14.5 to 14.80 charged when i rev'd the motor a little and aroun 13.5 when it was at idle. did the altenator test when i removed the ground wire then car died

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I had this happen to me awihle ago. I put the battery on a charger overnight, dropped it in the next day and it was good to go. I think it discharged from sitting for a while (2-3 weeks).

·
Registered
338 Posts
Your battery has been sitting up too long and most likely some or most of the cells have died in it. might wanna try like Dweezil said and charge it overnight, but you might need a new battery. (I used to have this problem before I got a hawker odyssey)

·
Black Dynamite
1991 HONDA Civic
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I put a new'r battery one out of my Xterra starts fine I completely changed the ground setup with a whole new 10gauge wire I waiting for my wife to come home with the truck so i can use it's battery but i guess as long as the alternator throws volts to the battey and the battery light does'nt come on i shouldn't care right?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts