Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looked/searched around for couple days and the links that kept popping up on more info are dead now.

Doing a DOHC ZC swap on my '90 STD hatch. It's stil dpfi also. Do I have all that is needed? Not sure if I need the 90-91 integra Axles.

What I have:
- Motor
– Intake Manifold
– Exhaust Manifold
– Injectors
– Fuel Rail
– Throttle body
– Alternator
– Distributor
– ZC 5 Speed Hydro Transmission
- P29 Ecu
– ZC Half Shaft
- EF cable to hydro conversion

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,359 Posts
You will have to wire up the CPS (cam position sensor) that sits beside the distributor. That's just two wires. If the engine came with that hydro trans and that half shaft is original then yes, you'll need 90-91 Integra axles. Just make sure you remove the dust collars and ABS rings from the axles if they have them. I have found the Import Direct axles from Oreilly to work very well in doing this. Sometimes the STD has that tiny outer wheel hub. It shouldn't on a 90 model, but just in case that could be something you run into. I'm thinking that happened more on the 88-89 models. Can't remember, but just in case.

So after those things, you'll just need to do the DPFI to MPFI swap. So you'll need an injector resistor box, you'll need to wire up the 4 injectors, swap the wires on the TPS, extend the IAT sensor wiring, but you won't have to fully convert the distributor as the DX/STD main distributor plug is the same as an obd0 DOHC ZC distributor.

Did you buy an imported swap, or just buy a ZC off the street?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You will have to wire up the CPS (cam position sensor) that sits beside the distributor. That's just two wires. If the engine came with that hydro trans and that half shaft is original then yes, you'll need 90-91 Integra axles. Just make sure you remove the dust collars and ABS rings from the axles if they have them. I have found the Import Direct axles from Oreilly to work very well in doing this. Sometimes the STD has that tiny outer wheel hub. It shouldn't on a 90 model, but just in case that could be something you run into. I'm thinking that happened more on the 88-89 models. Can't remember, but just in case.

So after those things, you'll just need to do the DPFI to MPFI swap. So you'll need an injector resistor box, you'll need to wire up the 4 injectors, swap the wires on the TPS, extend the IAT sensor wiring, but you won't have to fully convert the distributor as the DX/STD main distributor plug is the same as an obd0 DOHC ZC distributor.

Did you buy an imported swap, or just buy a ZC off the street?
Thanks for the info and its an imported swap from Hmotors.

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,359 Posts
Thanks for the info and its an imported swap from Hmotors.
Is it an OBD1 or OBD0 swap? Easiest ways to know are this: Does it have a MAP sensor on the throttle body (or a place for one to mount if its broken off which is common) and does it have a separate CPS sensor on the head.

I've had fairly good success with recent DOHC ZC imports. Just check to make sure the oil pump doesn't look awful or that the keyway on the balancer isn't jacked up. And that nothing got broken during the import process. It's much easier to swap out parts/fix things with it out of the car.

I ask about the obd1 versus obd0 because you said you have a hydro trans. Those only came on the obd1 models.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it an OBD1 or OBD0 swap? Easiest ways to know are this: Does it have a MAP sensor on the throttle body (or a place for one to mount if its broken off which is common) and does it have a separate CPS sensor on the head.

I've had fairly good success with recent DOHC ZC imports. Just check to make sure the oil pump doesn't look awful or that the keyway on the balancer isn't jacked up. And that nothing got broken during the import process. It's much easier to swap out parts/fix things with it out of the car.

I ask about the obd1 versus obd0 because you said you have a hydro trans. Those only came on the obd1 models.
Woops didn't put that in the original post but it is OBD1

·
Registered
967 Posts
with the hydro transmission and matching intermediate shaft, you need 94 and up Integra axles - the intermediate shaft for the hydro trans has a male end where the axle connects to - since the car is STD, you will also need the front knuckles/hubs from 88-91 Civic DX, LX, EX, Si or 88-91 CRX DX or Si (not HF)

oops! Soul is correct 88-89 Civic STD had the smaller axle/hub - 90-91 had the larger same as DX, etc. - i was thinking CRX HF which has smaller on 88-91

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,359 Posts
with the hydro transmission and matching intermediate shaft, you need 94 and up Integra axles - the intermediate shaft for the hydro trans has a male end where the axle connects to - since the car is STD, you will also need the front knuckles/hubs from 88-91 Civic DX, LX, EX, Si or 88-91 CRX DX or Si (not HF)

oops! Soul is correct 88-89 Civic STD had the smaller axle/hub - 90-91 had the larger same as DX, etc. - i was thinking CRX HF which has smaller on 88-91
Dude! Are you still lurking on here? What can I do to resurrect ZCspeed? Or is it just gone?

Either way, glad you chimed in. We should chat. I'm keeping the torch alive over here with the disco potato DOHC ZC Wagovan.

Also, OP, if that ECU is obd1 as well, you will have to convert the car over to obd1. Meaning distributor wiring, no resistor box for injectors, and adapter harness at the ECU, and adapting the oxygen sensor to work properly. Just a basic DPFI to obd1 MPFI. Man, I wish I had your intake........... Would love to have my map sensor on the throttle body instead of on the firewall. One day I'll luck onto an obd1 ZC mani.

·
Registered
967 Posts
ZCspeed was actually my son's business but the swaps and related things kind of dried up - I just kind of helped him out on things - He is still around but has a couple of other things going - has a repair shop doing mostly timing belts and he has a real estate job - he still has the Civic race car and we take it out when we can - we are still around! - this forum doesn't seem to have much ZC action either, but I still follow it

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,359 Posts
ZCspeed was actually my son's business but the swaps and related things kind of dried up - I just kind of helped him out on things - He is still around but has a couple of other things going - has a repair shop doing mostly timing belts and he has a real estate job - he still has the Civic race car and we take it out when we can - we are still around! - this forum doesn't seem to have much ZC action either, but I still follow it
PM'd you

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Thanks for the replies!

My coffee may not have kicked in and probably reading it wrong. From your post I'm good with 90-91 integra axles but will need the non STD knuckles/hubs?

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,359 Posts
Thanks for the replies!

My coffee may not have kicked in and probably reading it wrong. From your post I'm good with 90-91 integra axles but will need the non STD knuckles/hubs?
Your knuckles should be fine, but you will need the later model Integra axles to fit that hydro transmission. 94 and up on the Integra axles. Import Direct at Oreilly has a good warranty and they last. I punish mine often.

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,359 Posts
And that black dust boot on the right side of the pic by the outer splines (between the spline area and the ABS ring) usually has to come off for it to seat properly. ABS ring will likely have to come off as well, but it might clear just fine.

·
Registered
967 Posts
the axle pictured above is the driver's side - you also need the passenger side axle, which is not the same - the 90-93 Integra will also work on the passenger side, as well as the 94-UP

the 90-93 driver's side will not work - need 94-UP

1 - 15 of 15 Posts