Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it looks like I am just about capped for HP on my turbo swap and of course I still want more power. I don't want to upgrade the turbo either, I have a very clean turbo-swap and don't want to mess with it.

Currently I have a D15b2 (with MPFI swap) small Rbh5 turbocharger at 15psi. I was trying to figure out how much power would be gained from swapping to a D16y8. Here is the logic I have tried to make out of it, sound reasonable, or am I way off?...

a D15b2 with MPFI swap should be very similar to a D15b7 (102hp)
a D16y8 is rated at 127hp.. a 25hp gain..

but a engine boosted at 15psi should show HP increases of almost 100% (I know it is a broad statement, but it's usually in the ball-park)

Does this mean that I could see 50hp gains from my boosted D15 to a D16y8?? Would it really make that much of a difference? I am thinking even a 25 hp gain at the wheels would be pretty decent...

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
5,973 Posts
im prolly not the ont to give advise on this sort of thing but im going to throw this out there and see what happens...

why not use the y8 block and the d15 head, make it a mini me turbo car... i would imagine it would be up there in power...

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
I saw build a D16 on the side, when it's done crank up the boost on the B2 and see how long it lasts.

My buddy always says "Beat the shit out of it; when you break it, upgrade!"

·
Registered
106 Posts
Ill second the motion to build a z6 but would also suggest a d15b. Get an obd0 to obd1 adapter and a chipped p28 along with it. On a side note, I noticed youre running 15psi on that ihi turbo and I thought I would let you know that 15psi is the peak efficiency for that turbo so I wouldnt run it any higher. I ran my ihi at 18 psi and after a month it was toast. That being noted, I would consider getting the compressor wheel off a tbird ihi along with the compressor housing and getting that slapped on there and balanced. That will up your flow a good bit so you can lower the boost and get the same results. My stock ihi versus the hybrid made the same hp at 2-3psi less. IHI makes great turbos but that one you have isnt made for high boost levels.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ill second the motion to build a z6 but would also suggest a d15b. Get an obd0 to obd1 adapter and a chipped p28 along with it. On a side note, I noticed youre running 15psi on that ihi turbo and I thought I would let you know that 15psi is the peak efficiency for that turbo so I wouldnt run it any higher. I ran my ihi at 18 psi and after a month it was toast. That being noted, I would consider getting the compressor wheel off a tbird ihi along with the compressor housing and getting that slapped on there and balanced. That will up your flow a good bit so you can lower the boost and get the same results. My stock ihi versus the hybrid made the same hp at 2-3psi less. IHI makes great turbos but that one you have isnt made for high boost levels.

Thanks for the info, I kinda figured that the turbo is pushing about as hard as I dare. I am running a Obd1 chipped ecu already, but I will need one capable of running Vtec if I were to go to a better D engine. One question about the Tbird upgrade, I have heard of it, but is is really a direct bolt on? Do you have to change the air inlet/outlet plumbing? I assume the wastegate still bolts on the same way...

Also can someone please answer my original question, how much HP can I expect to gain swapping engines in boosted form? I do plan on running the D15 for a while yet, but I'm just thinking about my next upgrade to gain power.

·
Registered
257 Posts
im prolly not the ont to give advise on this sort of thing but im going to throw this out there and see what happens...

why not use the y8 block and the d15 head, make it a mini me turbo car... i would imagine it would be up there in power...
Y8 head would flow more than the D15B2 head in stock form. Putting the B2 head on the y8 would lower the compression ratio and restrict the flow.

Putting a D15B2 head on a Y8 would not make a mini-me. Thats the other way around.

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
5,973 Posts
Y8 head would flow more than the D15B2 head in stock form. Putting the B2 head on the y8 would lower the compression ratio and restrict the flow.

Putting a D15B2 head on a Y8 would not make a mini-me. Thats the other way around.

what ever, i said i didnt know much about this, i just threw it out there...

but thank you for the lesson all the same...

·
Registered
106 Posts
The tbird upgrade is a compressor wheel and housing swap. If you do that youll have to get the turbo balanced since you would be removing the compressor wheel. As far as it being a direct bolt on, it is but its a larger compressor housing so youll possibly have to change out some hoses. The tbird hybrid should be good for 250whp

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Figure any D16 block, B2 head with A6 cam and springs. 200WHP or bust!

·
insert user title here
3,014 Posts
the y8 is a good motor to boost IF you make sure that you either mod the oilpump to increase the flowrate and oil pressure, or replace it with a higher flowing pump. y8 oilpumps are notorious for having one of the worse flowrate of the d series oilpumps and spinning bearings.
the y8 im is arguably the best of the d-series im's. transmission is also perfect if you can get a y8 with tranny.
d16z6 and y8 are also good motors to boost.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts