Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was curious about suspension upgrades, reading on here and seems like I should probably start there before the motor. Wanted opinions on lower control arms, coil overs how low should I go? And anything else I missed have a 90 civic hb all stock except some purple coil overs but there's no brand that I have yet to see. Thanks in advance and hope this is in the right category lol.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
You need some upgraded shocks.
The lca (lower control arms) can stay. Replaced all bushing since there all old and probably bad.
How low is up to you.
Get the tie rods check and replace if bad. Then get a alignment once all is done.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
New Inner and Outer Tie Rods and Lower Ball Joints with all hardware is $32 shipped from eBay

Almost every Civic Ever needs a set.

Lose the word Coil over and Shock.

Get Some Koni Yellows and Ground Control Perches/springs.

I can Lift my car, or drag it across the ground, as if it is cool.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,944 Posts
New Inner and Outer Tie Rods and Lower Ball Joints with all hardware is $32 shipped from eBay

Almost every Civic Ever needs a set.

Lose the word Coil over and Shock.

Get Some Koni Yellows and Ground Control Perches/springs.

I can Lift my car, or drag it across the ground, as if it is cool.
Sorry for the thread Jack. But an answer would contribute to the thread.

Do you have a particular seller you like to buy from? I have an alignment scheduled on Sunday and I'm worried they might tell me that I need these.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there a site you frequent that gives a good deal or just shop around for the Koni Yellows and Ground Control Perches/springs? Also planned on replacing all the bearings and bushings. Anything else I am missing, feel free to jump in appreciate it thanks.

·
Registered
My car...or my truck
1,035 Posts
Call Ground Control and ask for the "Honda Tech package", they offer a discount for the complete setup with top hats and everything, comes out of the box ready to bolt on

·
Registered
My car...or my truck
1,035 Posts
I paid CA tax but they cut me some slack shipping it because I only lived about 100 miles away, I forget the exact price but it was $1100ish. If all you want is shocks and springs, it's cheaper to buy them a'la carte, if you want the full works, it saves you about $100...roughly a 10% discount

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks I appreciate it like I said Idk prices of import parts or generally trusted places to buy from. Will be a bit before I buy that ( my wife) lol but definitely needs an overhaul. The ks again

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
Basically it goes like this;

If you're buying LCA's in order to get good bushings, then you'll spend some cheese on name brand stuff and you're wasting a lot of money on bushings.

If you're buying LCA's because you found them cheap, don't mind crappy bushings, and are wanting to do them mostly for looks; you come out ahead price-wise in the short run but it's a long term loss.

If you're just wanting to improve the performance of your car the best bang/buck is to just swap bushings.

I never swapped the OEM bushings out on my old hatch, wish I had, but I did run aftermarket LCA's that were cheap. I wish I had just kept the OEM ones and swapped the bushings out.
Get new bushings and get quality Coil overs (GC + Koni), "how low can I go" is the wrong question to ask. "How can I improve handling" is the right one.

·
Registered
My car...or my truck
1,035 Posts
Remember, you get what you pay for, you can get cheap suspension...the question remains though, is that really what you want? And I wouldn't be shy about dealing with Ground Control directly, they have their shit together, top notch organization. They have a good website but you can call them, they answer the phone, they know what they are talking about, and they stand behind their products.

And, if you're anything like me and sick and tired of everything being made in China, take pride in your American-ness, their stuff is made domestically

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Awebb correct I should have stated that better, should I stay at a certain height for better handling or go lower or higher. For me I could care less if the thing is dragging on the ground not my cup of tea. Yes cali I agree with you 110% I don't mind spending extra $$$ for quality American made products. I really appreciate the help with this guy's. Just for me I like to research then when I have anything put it together, not jump from area to area.

·
Registered
88 Posts
You have to get the breast cancer awareness pink shocks.

No body has said this but look into swaybars, there is a really good write up here for the 96-00 cars but you can use the info and modify it for what works on your car. Seems like a lot of guys just run a rear bar, it just depends on driving style.

Oh I wouldn't get lca's unless your stock ones don't have provisions for a swaybar. I believe your year does but I know next to nothing about ef's. I would just get new bushings for the stockers.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Get The Top Hats from eBay.

They are $90 and the Same Thing.

Have fun getting the old bushings out.

Work Smarter, not Harder.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts