Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a review about my experience with the Suspension Techniques sway bars.

specs:
<-- not the exact foto
suspension techniques for 96-00 civics - F:15/16"(25mm) R:3/4"(19mm)

eibach (for comparison) anti-roll kit for 96-00 civics - F:25mm R:17mm

why I bought them:
coz they make a set for civics(!) and have one of the thickest rear bars out there for 6th gens (3/4" or 19mm). the SB cost me around US$300 front+rear+brackets new two years ago, and it seemed like a deal compared to other brands and factory SI bars.

my expectations:
when cornering, my DX used to lean like grandma reaching for the ribbon candy she dropped underneath the chair she's in. the obvious choice would be to get stiffer springs but the SB can achieve the same result without screwing up the factory shock/spring settings or suspension geometry, and also I find it beautiful that, with SB, the inside springs actually help increase the rate of the outside springs during cornering, effectively reducing sway and maintaining contact patch. not to mention carefully choosen front and rear bar diameters can cure understeering, which is a pain for our FF civics. in short, SB is way better choice than springs if you don't have much to spend. so don't bullshit me if you slam your SB-less 'vic to the ground and say you want to improve handling. ;)

installation:
if we compare suspension techniques to eibach SB, ST is relatively more difficult to install at the rear because it doesn't use the factory mount holes. you need to drill one hole for each mounting bracket and rotate the rear shocks 180 degrees to bolt on the bar ends [illustrated in photo].

result:
day and night. I can corner about 40% faster and with more confidence (due to the ability to give more gas during the turn without fear of understeering). the squeeking of the urathane bushings were a bit annoying at first but now I don't even hear them. one thing you have to be aware of is that driving habit needs to be changed after the SB. it's now a lot harder to recover from highway emergency menoeuvers (so I guess manufacturers put in understeering for a reason). and don't even think about letting go of the gas in the middle of a long turn at full speed... or get ready to counter steer. :D

my thoughts:
no regrets, the performance gain was worth every dollar spent and more. the thick rear bar of ST makes my civic corner like dream. :thumb: for street use I think some people might prefer the eibach for ease of installation and safety (smaller rear bar = less oversteer = safer). my $0.02

my rusty sways
Rear:

Front:

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanx, civic4ges! I was taking some "before" photos of my car before getting new springs on. then I thought to myself: I wish the SB was not tied to the shock, coz that makes the job harder.

just thought I'd give you guys a heads up about the ST SB.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,432 Posts
your comment about less over steer with the Eibachs..........

I see different, been known to "drift" my 5g HB with the Eibach kit.

Each driver has their different likes........

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have no experience with the 5g eibach kit. I'll take your word for it, transzex. I'm not saying with eibach it would not oversteer (I'm sure it will), rather I'm saying with ST it will oversteer more (to a point I think I'm putting my life at risk, haha, hence my opinion about eibach being safer). just by numbers the 6g ST rear bars are thicker than the eibach ones (12% increase in diameter is about 25% increase in stiffness), and I can tell you my hatch is very tail happy. ;)

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nice write up thanks....will be taking your advice!

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
i put the kit on my cousin's 99 gsr with the lower tie brace. it was awesome.. i would do it to mine but it costs to much.. all i did to mine was lower it and put the urathane sway bar bushings in the front and even just that made it handle alot better...

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,432 Posts
while the bar may me thicker, the pickup point GREATLT effects leverage.

I've only had the Eibach kit and am perfectly happy with it on MY car and MY driving style.

Just MY opinion........

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
transzex said:
while the bar may me thicker, the pickup point GREATLT effects leverage.

I've only had the Eibach kit and am perfectly happy with it on MY car and MY driving style.

Just MY opinion........
I agree. so mounting it further from the lower arm's pivot point makes the bar stronger or weaker?

·
ridin on rotas
1,980 Posts
I don't think that it makes the bar "weaker" or "stronger", but actually effects over/under steer. I used to have the type where it mounted to the rear shocks, and it felt normal, then I switched to a ST sway/tie bar combo

I find it very easy "drift" my car now. both bars that I use(d) are 22mm.
but the over all effect of the bar during corners I feel are the same. they both make the rear end stay very flat to the ground. but I think the sway bar that I had by it self could hold the rear end to the ground as well as the sway/tie bar combo that I now have. I did not have a tie bar with the first sway bar either.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts