Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Same
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know build threads are touchy depending, but I'm posting this here in case anyone wants to weigh in... and to build my post count. :greddy:

One of the biggest autox events of the season is this weekend, so what do I decide to do? Overhaul the entire suspension the week before. :pinch: :wacko:

Si LCAs all around, VTEC 21mm front sway, ASR 24mm adjustable rear sway (I have the ASR brace too, just not included 'cause I'm an idiot).

430f/340r GC/Konis (OTS rates even though I requested custom :dots: ), and GC top hats.

Thank God I got the top hats. I was hemming and hawing over them, but Goddamn there is not much travel with them set where I have them. My spring rates are pretty high so I'm not really worried, but it is definitely noticeable.

I'd also like some opinion on preload. I've read around that it isn't that big of a concern, but I have about 1/4-1/2 inch of slack in the front, and a full inch in the rear at full droop. I'm not too concerned since I'm sure the sway bars will keep them in check, but if the rears are too far out of spec I'd like to know.

·
Registered
My car...or my truck
1,035 Posts
Tires and brakes up to task? No worn suspension parts? Leaks? Battery hold down in place? Seat belts are good? Already passed scrutineering? Cause all this fun stuff you're doing aside, if you haven't sorted out all the not so fun stuff, every event I've ever been to, they will send you packing if the car isn't sorted

·
Registered
Same
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
how about bushing and joints? what chassis is this going in?
Del Sol chassis. Bushings in the LCAs are all good. I'm getting the TA bushings replaced with HardRace bushings as we speak.
what class you running?
Carbon fiber hood and trunk force me up into SMF. Could put the stockers back on and run ST, but the JRSC I have up next will make SMF concrete.
"Tender Springs"
I know. :( I DD this car as well so Koni Races were kind of off the table. I would've liked to go into the 600s if I had my way, but Yellows wouldn't stand up to it. Also why I'm upgrading the sways- to take up some of that slack.
Tires and brakes up to task? No worn suspension parts? Leaks? Battery hold down in place? Seat belts are good? Already passed scrutineering? Cause all this fun stuff you're doing aside, if you haven't sorted out all the not so fun stuff, every event I've ever been to, they will send you packing if the car isn't sorted
Direzza Z2s for tires. Brakes are in decent shape right now, but I plan to upgrade them in the near future. The 9.5" front discs are obviously too small, but since I'm running HX wheels the largest I can go would be VTEC or Integra 10.3"s. I'll snag them from a yard here soon, add some Brembo blanks and Hawk pads, upgrade to DOT4 fluid, and throw some braided lines on once the TA bushings are done, and call it good (for now). Practically brand new suspension parts as of now (even did the shifter bushings). No leaks. Battery is good. Seat belts work. Already passed tech and ran two events this season and they approved me for season tech as well. Though they'll have to tech me again now that I've made these changes, but I'm not worried.

All great questions/concerns guys. Definitely the best forum for getting my questions answered and build critiqued correctly. I'd have three pages of "Why no F&F coilovers, brah?" over on HT.

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
since it's a Sol, what have you done chassis bracing-wise? I noticed a huge difference on my sol when I put an H-brace on, much less so when I did a front strut brace

·
Registered
Same
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I have front/rear strut braces and fender braces in the mail right now, and I'm running the top temporarily for overall rigidity. I also already have the front lower subframe brace from an Integra installed, and the ASR rear subframe brace will be going on as well.

There is a custom builder affiliated with the autox club that builds every racing platform out there, minus F-1, and I'll be consulting him for bracing options. Likely gonna have to be a cage of some type, but if possible I'll try to convince him to attempt underbody bracing.

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
let me know what he comes up with underbody-bracing wise, and what he wants to make one. I might be interested in one myself because when that top is off I can see things flexing and that's no good

you're pretty much building the suspension I will be going with soon though

·
Registered
Same
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Forgot I hadn't posted this.

Ran into a big problem during reassembly of the front, but at least I got the rear all mounted up.

·
Registered
Same
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got the 24mm for cheap ($50 w/endlinks) so I'll see how it does for now. It's set to the stiffest setting so I'm sure it won't be soggy by any means. Maybe 32mm down the road... after I have the front spindles rebuilt from the damn stud wallowing out in the hub. X(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts