Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...like the title says. It's done it for 6 years. Every once in a great while, when Saturn's gravity throws a comet past Mars that reflects glare from the sun onto a manhole cover that radiates my front springs (aka it only happens about once a year, and no I'm not talking about that time I thought I may have understood uberdata), i hear a weird noise.

I turn a corner, maybe out of a driveway, and one of the front springs makes a TONNNNNNGGGGG noise. Like it was hit with a hammer.

I can't find anything that would cause it, I can't find any damage, etc.

anyone ever heard of such a thing?

btw posting after eating a bag of candy-covered-chocolate-covered-cherries after a meal of ham and potatoes and cauliflower and two slices of cherry pie = the spin is rooming. I think my blood suger went ZCHHOOO

·
JDM Justin
95 del Sol
812 Posts
sounds like it may not be seated all the way?? the tong sound is the spring maybe coming out or off the shock??

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Are you on stock or aftermarket springs?
+1, and also, how low? did you leave in the little rubber "washer"? was the spring fully seated in the hat when you lowered it?
sounds like it may not be seated all the way?? the tong sound is the spring maybe coming out or off the shock??
possibly popping back into/out of position after the dampner experienced expansion past the top of the spring.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have aftermarket springs on my car and after I put my car on a lift, the spring doesn't always get seated right and it makes a loud pop noise.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stock springs, stock shocks. Actually I don't think they've ever been removed.

Only possibility I can think of is the misalignment of some stuff on the drivers side (it may have been in an accident before I bought it) but that's not for sure.

·
Registered
229 Posts
if the front swaybar was ever removed and then put back on and one of the chassis bushings is installed backwards the swaybar will make contact with the subframe. it'll hang, and then pop free, making a long "tong" sound that can be felt through the floor board. don't ask how i know this....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Mine makes the exact same TONG! noise when I turn a corner once in a blue moon and nothing has ever been touched on my suspension. My bushings are still good on the sway bar too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts