Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK first off 96 Civic DX 5sd 160K miles. I Just bought 2 new 02 sensors and I was wondering if it could be something else? Any input is great thanks!

My problem is that when I first start the car it idles way high for about 10 seconds at 1500rpms then once the CEL turns on it will hunt(throttle surge) between 1500rpms and 500rpms back and forth. I got an OBD2 scanner and I know for sure both 02 sensors are bad not only from the scanner but also from hooking up the multi meter and back probing the connectors, both only give me a reading of front(400) downstream(300) nither fluctuate at all and from waht I hear they should from 1000-100 range

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
for the record, O2 should fluctuate from 200-800mV approximately.

Could be vacuum leak, or low coolant, or just a worn out IACV/FITV.

if you haven't fixed the O2's yet, do so. However, idle control doesn't really look at O2. It looks at RPM and accessory sensors like ELD and PS pressure switch.

Basic test if you have power steering:
with car parked and idling (smoothly, if at all possible), turn the steering wheel hard to jack up the PS pressure. Idle should jump up momentarily to compensate for increased load. If it's slow to bump the idle or doesn't at all, suspect IACV/FITV.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts