Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Have any of you ever put supports on the ram horn so it doesn't crack as easy due to bumps ect..? One of my buddies suggests we fab something up.
What do you think?

·
Registered
689 Posts
i had to do this once with a ramhorn (custom) stlye mani on a 240, turbo was just to heavy for the mani, we ended up welding 2 or 3 little brackets from the exhaust plate to the turbo plate and after that there werent anymore stress cracks that showed up

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
usually if a manifold is made professionally from some of the good companies, you have nothing to worry about. If its a think walled pos, fab something up
I am using a LovFab mani I bought off a guy on Turbod16 I don't see any signs of stress. It is super beefy..
i had to do this once with a ramhorn (custom) stlye mani on a 240, turbo was just to heavy for the mani, we ended up welding 2 or 3 little brackets from the exhaust plate to the turbo plate and after that there werent anymore stress cracks that showed up
Interesting,

I should give a better description of my setup.
D16a6
Lovfab full ram that a bullseye 55a/r will be mounting to with a 3" DP.

Have you guys ever heard of there being an issue with exhaust studs being ripped out? Whats your opinion? Should I get something fabed up or am I good?0

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
If it is from a quality place they use very thick material. I would not worry about it to be honest. I never braced my fullram and am not worried about my topmount either. Bracing is usually for cheaper and less inferior metals ie ssauto turd
bingo

·
10 second daily driver :)
3,238 Posts
I wouldnt worry about it with lovefab....They make some seriously legit quality manifolds. had on one my old si hatch
i had to weld cracks on my 1200.00 full race top mount mani lol, and it weighs a ton!! its super thick steel. it is all just luck, harmonics can cause cracks in any thing, weight of teh turbo isnt even often the reason.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
id like to add that it also matters where you live, and the temp of the weather thats around you.

Like in cali, not much to worry about. But in Idaho well .. it gets a lot colder there in the winter and can cause more cracking then other places because of fast heating and cooling.

·
10 second daily driver :)
3,238 Posts
Thats why they offer a lifetime warranty................
yeah but its no down time for me to just weld it my self. heck with sending it out and having to walk to work lol

·
Registered
13,322 Posts
I wouldnt worry about it with lovefab....They make some seriously legit quality manifolds. had on one my old si hatch
I had a LoveFab log...wish I had kept it for a A/C compatible DD setup. But that thing had the thickest steel and greatest beads I've seen! I've got to say that it was higher quality than the Spoolin full ram I've got for the mega build project right now.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Your mani studs should be fine.

If you really are going to ask a question about every different question as to if i should do this or not.

Then I think you really just want us to tell you that you need to support the dang thing.
So, go ahead and make a extra support bracket.

As i am sure you have seen, tons! of other Honda's with a turbo and not a support.
They are saying that they where driving down the highway and their turbo fell off their car and rolled around on the highway like a baby thrown from a car.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Your mani studs should be fine.

If you really are going to ask a question about every different question as to if i should do this or not.

Then I think you really just want us to tell you that you need to support the dang thing.
So, go ahead and make a extra support bracket.

As i am sure you have seen, tons! of other Honda's with a turbo and not a support.
They are saying that they where driving down the highway and their turbo fell off their car and rolled around on the highway like a baby thrown from a car.
No need to be abrupt and rude buddy.
I asked a simple question and wanted a little clarification. If thats to much to ask than don't reply.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
im sorry its not to much to ask.

But we all really said no need to.
then you ask again.
Really?

Oh well, im going to bed. Sorry again - ive been up all night.

No one provided clarification on the question I asked pertaining to the head.
Your answer provided the reassurance I needed and thank you for that; but there is no need to be nonconstructive in a thread that could provide valuable information to someone who is moving up with there setup.

Thanks everyone for the feed back much appreciated

1 - 20 of 26 Posts