Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I was doing some research on turbos and superchargers, and Im interested in a supercharger because its a really cool concept on how it works.

So my question is why are there supercharger kits on ebay for $200 but on other websites its like 5 grand?

Do kits not come with the actual supercharger?

I'm not looking for a ton of power and I can get a cheap supercharger with a little performance gain im ok with that for now :) thanks

·
Premium Member
748 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
On some cars those can actually restrict the airflow going into you intake they only move a certain amount off air and most of the time it isn't enough to run even the smallest of engines. Do some research to see how much air your car needs to run at wide open throttle then research the amount of air that electric fan pushes to see if it would help you any. In most cases they are no help at all plus they are either on or off they do not change speed to stay with the amount of fuel you consume. You might see a small gain of 1-5 HP but I would look for more than that and that's only if it moves more air than you need. Before you buy do a shit ton of research. I had a friend with a stock V6 maxima that had one he claimed it helped a lot then he bought a CAI and he trashed the electric super charger as far as I know.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
There is a good reason they are $200. They don't work. They are nothing more than a computer cooling fan and they don't pump enough to make boost at idle and it drops off from there to become an actual restriction to airflow.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone, I'm so new to these forced induction parts..

This is probably a very opinionated question, but supercharger or turbo? Again I don't need a lot of power such as a drag car, mine is a daily driver but I would like to experiment with a little bit of boosting before I attempt a build or a high hp car, THANKS AGAIN!

·
Registered
976 Posts
Turbo would be a cheaper route to take. Superchargers are expensive as hell for a D-Series.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Genuine super charger kits for the D are pretty scarce now. The mon one is the JRSC or Jackson Racing Super Charger. You can occasionally find a second hand one. Endyne made a better one, but only made a handful of incomplete kits. The chance of getting one are near on zero.

A JRSC pretty well tops out at about 180hp. some might get 200 if everthing is perfect and on fancy fuels.

The Endyne should make well over 200hp.

Any cheap arsed home made turbo kit can make around 200hp and a half decent one makes 300hp and a real nice set up still with pretty standard layout makes 400hp. A really wild set up can make 600hp

The real advantage of a supercharger is the instant response. They are virtually making real boost before the pedal hits the floor when you mash it. Turbos build exponentialy. They take some time to build boost. The bigger the turbo in general, the slower they react. This makes them harder to drift.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry pat i didn't see your response before my last comment, what are your thoughts if i got a small turbo with minimum boost for my stock original d16y5 with about 160 k on it? What's the minimum setup cost? Ballpark? And not for some ebay one unless those will work for a small upgrade in horses

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Room to install. Supercharges being belt driven need to be mounted so the substantial belt drive lines up and the mount is strong enough. Basically only two superchargers are a suitable size to fit between the head and the firewall. This is aggravated by the fact the D turns anticlockwise. Superchargers are made for clockwise rotation and only some can be converted.

Also it's not impossible, but it's quite difficult to make an inter cooler for a supercharger set up.

Of course for turbos any number of kits with any sized turbo are available and can be mounted in various positions with some simple pipe work.

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
Turbo would be a cheaper route to take. Superchargers are expensive as hell for a D-Series.
Turbo is definitely cheaper if you are looking for big gains, but as your boost increases, so does the need to build the motor to handle it.

A Jackson Racing Supercharger can be had for a reasonable cost (second hand as they aren't available new for the d-series anymore), but you're limited to how much boost you can get (10 psi would be just about the limit, and that would require porting of the charger and some custom pulleys...sort of diminishing the value proposition, 7-8 psi is the norm). The nice thing about the JRSC though is it is a nice, mostly self-contained package available off the shelf.

With some knowledge of what you are doing, you could build a turbo setup capable of that much boost, and you have the ability to turn up the boost as you enhance the capability of the motor (stronger rods, forged pistons, etc.).

One of my favorite boosted d-series I've driven is a high compression (relatively...11.5-12:1) motor with low boost (about 10 psi). Although peak power is only about 230 hp, the torque curve is wicked flat.

So as hilux says, turbo will be cheaper for big hp, but it really depends on your goals.

·
Pew Pew!
3,509 Posts
A nice homemade turbo kit with a T25 turbo would do you wonders. Quick Response and can get you up in the 200 range.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
I want a little more power, (anything up to 200 nothing more) but it is my daily driver so i couldn't be having out out of commission for weeks or anything you know
Get a bolt on turbo kit
greddy
edelbrock
goautoworks
If you get one of them then you dont have to do any fab work beside tap the oil pan. So your only be down for some hrs not a weekend or anything.

I custom made my kit and never had the car down a day. Test fitted parts as they came in and made all my piping. Did this a few hours a week or month till the final day came. Then installed everything in like 45mins. Then went out and tuned it.

Or fine a jackson racing supercharger and install it which will take a few hrs and your be up in running again.
O yea dont forget it will need to be tune.

Other then that you can add bolt ons. Intake, header, exhaust, without needing to tune then bigger throttle body, cam and gear with a tune. But you wont hit 200hp

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Other then that you can add bolt ons. Intake, header, exhaust, without needing to tune then bigger throttle body, cam and gear with a tune. But you wont hit 200hp
I already have an CAI, Header and exhaust, should i just keep taking the bolt on route?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts