Honda D Series Forum banner

Supercharger - rotor and case coating

7K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Paterico 
#1 ·
So a year or so ago, I had my Eaton M45 ported and rebuilt(new front/rotor bearings and seals, new rear/case bearings, etc) . The rotors apex's were somewhat scored/scratched up so the company doing the work decided it would be a good idea to smooth them down by taking off some material. I don't know why they did this...they certainly should have known better but that's another topic..

Bottom line is that now I don't make the boost that I should and it builds gradually. I should be making 10+ lbs and now I get maybe 7. Boost also builds gradually and I don't see full boost until higher RPMs.

It's pretty apparent that boost is leaking past the rotors because there is more clearance after they were refinished. I know this can be corrected by coating the rotors and inside of case with a dry film lubricant coating...the stuff used for piston skirts.

embree machine/the high speed lab offers a rotor/case coating service but they require a rotor plate rebuild to get it which is $400...so I'd end up spending $500 to get a $100 coating service. I already had the rotor plate assembly rebuilt with new seals and new bearings so I'd really hate to pay for the same thing twice since I've only used the supercharger for maybe 50 miles.

So I'd like to tear the blower apart, press the rotors out and send them along with the case to be coated with a piston skirt coating. Was wondering if anyone can chime in on the following:

1.) Has anyone had experience with a company that provides piston coating services that might be able to do this for me?

2.) Does anyone have any insight as to what the rotor-rotor clearances and rotor-to-case clearances should be?

3.) Swich, can you explain how you pressed out the rotors out when you got your coated?

Any input would be appreciated...I know this isn't a very common topic.

See less See more
#2 ·
Nobody? I got a quote for $250 to coat the rotors with a dry film piston skirt coating. No telling how much they'd want for the case. At this point I'm really just looking for a decent coating service that doesn't cost an arm and a leg

#12 ·
how did i miss this post. any way... yeah i just presses them out from the gear side. marked them and pressed. simple and easy... clearances .0025

#13 ·
Thanks for all the input guy. I think I'm going to give in and send it to Embree/Highspeedlab.

Out of curiosity, is anyone else (besides you NeonPinHead) looking to have their blower rebuilt? I want to see if we can possibly work a deal with The High Speed Lab to get some better pricing. I would be sending two of my blowers in so I figure we might have a chance at getting a deal if we can get at least 5 together. Anyone?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.