Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Banned
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about getting a used JRSC. My question is what kind of power can i get out of it with a built motor....cam,vitaras,eagle rods,bisi header.
Im looking for a fun car to drive in the mountains and on road courses and figured something with low end power would be nice along with LSD and some gear changes

If youve got some pics id like to see some cars with superchargers just to fuel my fantasy for now

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
lot's of information on the forums about these particular build's. But ballpark it's not all about the build, the supercharger with stock pulley caps out around 160-180whp, So with a very agressive cam and a good header ( which idk if the bisi would be a good one but I know alot run Kamikaze but that was before bisi header was around)

I would honestly say tho no more than 180-190whp which you can bust balls with turbo which you are going to here alot in the next few post when people answer lol. Home made kit 700-1k$ 200-220whp on low boost and little to no lag, just search the JRSC alot of info there.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Don't go with low compression on the JRSC, as the most you will want to run is 10psi if you can get the right pulley combo. There was a poll done recently about SC power numbers. Search!

·
Registered
610 Posts
I was thinking about getting a used JRSC. My question is what kind of power can i get out of it with a built motor....cam,vitaras,eagle rods,bisi header.
Im looking for a fun car to drive in the mountains and on road courses and figured something with low end power would be nice along with LSD and some gear changes

If youve got some pics id like to see some cars with superchargers just to fuel my fantasy for now

IDK, but the crazy intake temps you will pump out of that thing and pushing it on a road course doesnt sound like a great combo. A small/medium sized intercooled turbo setup will give you a great powerband. When you push it hard, it'll never see sub ~3500rpm anyway. Midrange is what you need. Low end is for streets if youre too lazy to downshift ;)

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
You can build a custom s/c if you plan on using a expensive turbo, it'll all boil down to about the same cost. You can get 450whp from a supercharger as you can with a turbo kit...just depends on how patient you are and $$ you have for the budget.

You can even run you vitara FJ combo. Although s/c are used w/ hi comp engines you can benefit from a low compression engine, and increase boost of the s/c.

Either route I hope you reach your goal, and you get some help on the forum to guide you along your path and not just smart remarks! ;)

...if it's just a mountain climber a jrsc @ 10psi intercooled will be fun and more predictable than a TC

·
Poop Sock
3,798 Posts
it would make a fun daily driver thats for sure. but I'd scratch the vitaras (no need for them) and scratch the rods(stock are ok for ~215whp (crazier #'s have happened though))

·
Registered
753 Posts

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
1) your not going to make the crazy numbers you wil make with at turbo
2) the jrsc is really small and makes a lot of heat
3) dont go low cr, go higher. 10:1 + 10 psi w/ blower = :wackit:
4) personally, a mild high c/r small turbo set-up will probably net you a better result then a jrsc set-up going balls out.

·
Registered
230 Posts
For our D's I think turbochargers are more efficient you use more energy towards building boost rather then just creating useless heat.
Superchargers when you try to build lots of boost you have to put down a lot of power which in turn creates a lot more heat then pressure.
thats why I think for our little 1.6 D-series a super charger is almost useless , but yet I am sure it's fun .
but In my opinion to accomplish something it would be a waste of money because a turbo would get the job done a lot better for the price

·
Registered
295 Posts
As an owner of a JRSC, 90 Si with an A6 to be exact, i'd have to agree with the turbo guys. Now i do love my SC, it does exactly what i need it to do but there right about the heat. The little M45 ( i think that's what it is) isn't very efficient between the 9-12 psi range. Creates a ton of heat at those boost levels. I was considering a water / meth injection system on mine because i do road race, just haven't hit any this year so i haven't got to test it out yet. Definitely no need for pistons or rods, the stockers will hold up just fine. So i still think you should go turbo, easier to go faster with it when your ready. Trying to find aftermarket pulley's for my supercharger is a bitch, i'm just gonna have my machinist make me one.

·
Registered
92 Posts
well i still think it's not a bad idea if you can get a jrsc for a good price (i guess it depends on what you think a good price is) than i would say it's worth it. people talk about the heat but it's not 24 hours of Le Mans, it's mountain driving. i haven't had any super power losses yet (at least not enough to feel a difference), it doesn't get slugish or detonate when i hit the mountains. in the long run if i can't buy a nice clean set up like something from GO Autoworks, than i don't like those 1000 dollar budget builds. yes boost is easy to raise with a turbo, but if it looks like an ebay special than i would rather less power. not all turbo builds are bad but anything ebay or junkyard has no place on my car. imo

·
Registered
295 Posts
I'm with you on that, i got my supercharger for 700 bucks and from a guy i could trust. Yeah i could have pieced together a turbo kit but i didn't want the pieced together look either.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
well i still think it's not a bad idea if you can get a jrsc for a good price (i guess it depends on what you think a good price is) than i would say it's worth it. people talk about the heat but it's not 24 hours of Le Mans, it's mountain driving. i haven't had any super power losses yet (at least not enough to feel a difference), it doesn't get slugish or detonate when i hit the mountains.
turn the boost up on the jrsc, it will cook your engine before it will make "big" power. this is what most of us are refering to.

also, your seeing more heat (between the blower and the valves) then most of the intercooled turbo guys are seeing. you will not notice heat soak too much, since you have an iat sensor which allows the ecu to make minor adjustments. minor loss in power at such a low level, with such a linar gain in power, will not be noticed. turbo guys notice power loss more as their power band is more peaky. so the car falling on its face at 6k rpm is going to turn the drivers head.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm a turbo person myself, but i had a couple friends that had a jrsc. It did really well for them. One had 99 si and another w/ 91 hatch w/ b16. They ran the smallest charger pulley and ran the crv crank pulley. They were make around 15 psi. Their cars would rip out of the hole, and hellacious mid range. And pretty dam good topend to surprise me. Look around at different crank pulleys to see if you can find any that are bigger to up the boost. But once you get over 15 psi, you pretty much are like a hair dryer. Give it a try and see how you like it. DONT FORGET TO GET IT TUNED !!!! I'm sure it will do what you want it to do.

·
Registered
92 Posts
turn the boost up on the jrsc, it will cook your engine before it will make "big" power. this is what most of us are refering to.

also, your seeing more heat (between the blower and the valves) then most of the intercooled turbo guys are seeing. you will not notice heat soak too much, since you have an iat sensor which allows the ecu to make minor adjustments. minor loss in power at such a low level, with such a linar gain in power, will not be noticed. turbo guys notice power loss more as their power band is more peaky. so the car falling on its face at 6k rpm is going to turn the drivers head.
well i guess if he's looking for "big" power than i would say no to the supercharger. by the sound of him wanting to build his engine than he might be looking for "big" power, in which case turbo that thing. the money he would spend on his build and the supercharger could = a quality brand turbo'd stock motor. or he could save that money and supercharge the stock motor and still have a clean setup. with the stock size pulley the temps are not overwhelming. still quick in the right areas, just not a drag car. once again it boils down to what he's really using the car for imo.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts