Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may sound like a foolish question, but would anyone have any input on running a s/c d16y8 with a lightweight flywheel? I know the light flywheel is never a bad investment, but through some online digging I've found people saying that the light wheels are easier to crack. I was planning on running an s/c with like 5-6 lbs of boost. My concern would be with all that low end power from the s/c, would it be risky to be dropping all that power on a lighter wheel? Like I said, this may be a dumb question to ask, so only weigh in if you have something useful to say

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
It's rpm not torque that shatters flywheels.

The strength of a flywheel depends mainly on what it is made from. High grade steel or aluminium can make a very light flywheel that won't shatter. OEM flywheels are cast iron. It can shatter at high rpm, especially if it is to thin.

A point you don't mention is that a flywheel is also a heat sink for the clutch. If you overheat it, first the clutch fails, but also, you can create cracks from the sudden build up of heat.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Did you have your OEM flywheel cut down or did you buy a aftermarket flywheel what is the weight and what material is it made of?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts