Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 maybe 94 coupe
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So all the tutorials are like "just fire up a p30 basemap and have at it" which is great. Can't wait to tune a honda.

But in past (gm) experience, ecu families are separate. A 7747 ecu may run chips for different engines in say the full size truck line, but if i try to run a 7747 bin for a 4.3 in a 4.3 LIGHT truck that uses the 8062 ecu it just won't work. Obviously theres several 4.3 bins for the 8062, so you use that and tune.

Now I got what I thought at the time was all the ecu I needed and more. A p06, modded for vtec, datalogging, and a zif socket.

Then, obviously there's no p06 basemap in crome.

Am I understanding correctly I can in a nutshell just use the p30 file to start with as indicated in the tutorials? It says to best match your engine, not ecu.

That wouldn't fly in obd1 domestic tuning.

Im hoping i didnt get sold a bunch of useless shit that's good for running someone else's chip and running a digital dash, but not for tuning my own car.

It's running on a Neptune mapped chip for someone else's car right now.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
somehwat correct.

The nice thing is as long as it is a honda OBD1 ecu (92-95) from a 4cylinder, it will work.

there is minor conversion work to take an original auto ecu to a manual, but once its "manual" you can use whatever 4cyl OBD1 basemap you want.

you can dig, and find the basemap for your engine, though you need to know some may be altered.

If your sig is correct, you might just want to start with a P28 basemap if trying to tune up the d15b vtec. Then set up some sort of datalogging, and get started fine tuning the fueling down a bit, and advance the timing a little bit here and there.

Honestly, I wouldnt bother with modifying a P28 basemap until you get datalogging setup and go do SEVERAL pulls and watch how the ecu is taking care of the engine.

Little bit extra timing here and there, and pull a little fuel here and there, as the P28 will be richer than the d15b.

BUT you can find a premade d15b basemap somewhere, and use that to compare how a P28 is, and see if you can trim a few things as needed.

Just be sure your sensors are all in working order, your grounds are good, your injectors are clean and firing properly, and most importantly, make sure your mechanical timing is spot on

·
Registered
93 maybe 94 coupe
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man, it's d15b non vtec but that's cool, I just grabbed my emulator cables and such so I should be up and at it soon now that I know i can just use a map that's made up to run my engine. I just didn't wanna get the emulator loaded and then be like, great.

I'll make sure the basics are good and solid before I start playing.

·
Registered
99 Civic EX
1 Posts
Seems just too simple to be true that you can fire up any base map but that's awesome! I'm about to get my ecu in the mail, then to chip and start tuning!

·
B-series Destroyer
4g 4d civic
913 Posts
Seems just too simple to be true that you can fire up any base map but that's awesome! I'm about to get my ecu in the mail, then to chip and start tuning!
It may start it up and run, however, that does not mean its running perfect. A basemap is exactly that, a basemap. It's somewhere to start.

I started with a P30 basemap to run my boosted GSR setup. It ran, just not great.

·
Registered
93 maybe 94 coupe
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh I gotcha don't worry. I'm just kinda stoked. To me that is essentially taking a chip from a completely different ecu family and plugging it in...that it works at ALL is amazing. If you do that on a chivvy you'd be better off running with no chip physically installed in the socket.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts