Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Trying to put together a nice daily driver for around $2000 all in (excluding paint). This won't be very exciting, but for future reference can see how much it actually cost from beginning to end. I will be cutting corners, buying used parts, ebay, etc but hopefully without sacrificing too much.

The candidate - 1999 Civic LX 5 Speed with 198k on the clock. I bought this at a yard sale of all places. There was a for sale sign on it and when I saw it was manual and 4 door I was all over it.

Plans:
  • Reliable and somewhat well handling pizza delivery car, can't lower much due to steep driveways.
  • Typical header/intake with y8 manifold, a quiet yet better flowing exhaust with a catalytic converter
  • OEM Honda alloys (civic si, special edition, integra, or whatever I can find)
  • Keep it non vtec, no big power goals
  • Better front seats, EP3, integra, etc

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First order of business is deal with any oil leaks. The valve cover was half black, the transmission was black and the block was black. So I gave it a good pressure wash.

It surprises me when I see youtube videos of people installing mods and the engine looks like poop. So let's clean it up before we do anything!

After the initial wash. I'll drive it for a bit and see where we have leaks from. I suspect the distributor and the breather box in the back.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
UPDATE:

I sold my oem header for $175 and went ahead to install the DC header. It went "ok", but the EX based header was significantly larger than my DX/LX exhaust pipe. I had expected to have the EX cat and middle pipe by now, but I didn't have it yet. So, I bought a DX type header (2") that will bolt up easy ($85 shipped from ebay).

The install went well, the header is much lighter of course. I have to now worry about getting a cat code as we have no catalytic converter. The header did bolt on, but I needed 2 o2 sensor extension harnesses to make the 2nd o2 sensor reach all the way to the back.

The old OEM header was cracked at the top, so it is nice to not have that exhaust leak. I am now getting a rasp at exactly 3000 rpm. I'm not sure if it's at the muffler or at the header. People did mention going with a header and catless will make this bumble bee sound.

My torque has been restored that was lost after the whale intake. I can now pull nicely around town at 2000 rpm in 3rd gear. I am hoping to still get good gas mileage (30mpg).

Bumper Bicycle part Personal protective equipment Automotive wheel system Carbon
Automotive tire Product Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Gas

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
A sad halloween for the project. I parked it somewhere just for the night and it was stolen. They took the whale penis, all the relays, one speaker, busted the ignition, and destroyed the radio surround.

Ironically my laptop, my 2 sets of dc headers, and my Y8 intake manifold were not taken LOL

Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Automotive exterior Automotive design
Window Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Gadget Automotive exterior

Car Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle Steering part Gear shift
Gear shift Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My question is, who steals one rear speaker (which was blown).

Also, why did they just break the little glass instead of the whole door glass. Were they being polite?

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,363 Posts
My question is, who steals one rear speaker (which was blown).

Also, why did they just break the little glass instead of the whole door glass. Were they being polite?
crackheads are weird. and that little window is more expensive to fix than a roll down piece of glass. assholes are assholes.
laptops can be traced, so I see why that was left.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The guy also took my "working on car" shirt and pants so maybe I will see him trolling around.

I figure that little glass piece makes less noise when you break it, that would probably be why. The guy obviously knows hondas.

Now, the question is, what will insurance pay for all of this?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Good news I was able get the broken window replaced for $100. I also found the plastic parts and stock airbox at the pick a part yard for a total of $60. So I am back on the road at least.

I think I'm going to go for a 01-03 civic instead with at least an immobilizer. I'd love to stay in the D series family!

UPDATE:

I have Progressive insurance and they estimated the replacement parts using OEM Honda parts.

The quote to repair was $2400. The highest expenses were the ignition switch and the glass. So they want to total out the car. It will be $500 to keep it off of the settlement.

The question now is how much will they value the car? Some companies use blue book while others use replacement cost.

Stay tuned!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Insurance called me to settle up.

Me: You guys want to make it a total loss?
Them: Yes. The repair estimate is too high when compared to the value of the vehicle.
Me: I was hoping it would not be salvage, but what is the estimated payout if it is a total loss?
Them: We estimate the value at $3000 plus tax
Me: Thank you very much, go ahead and make it a total loss. (jumping up and down)

This is great news! I thought they would pay me like $500. The payout is basically what it would cost for me to go buy a similar car from a dealer.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,816 Posts
You can afford to replace all the relays on it now!

Fucking crackheads always seem to steal relays and lightbulbs.... whats up with that? Are they snacking on them or something? I cant logically understand haha.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You can afford to replace all the relays on it now!

Fucking crackheads always seem to steal relays and lightbulbs.... whats up with that? Are they snacking on them or something? I cant logically understand haha.

I've already replaced everything and am driving again minus a radio. The thief obviously wanted to disable the car after he was done, so he clipped the battery cable and took the relays thinking nobody else can steal it. Total cost $325 from tow yard, $100 for glass, and $62 from the pick and pull. Took time off from work, (if you count that), so maybe $700 in total.

Half of me wants to keep it just to go HAHA on them, but I'm still selling it. I hope to keep in the D family. Maybe an 03 coupe or still find my EP3 I was searching for.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts