Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Civic EX
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new user here and completely new to Hondas, although I've done my share of wrenching on many different cars. I've been reading through this forum for a few days but I have a sort of specific situation so I was hoping for some help.

I just picked up a 1995 Civic EX for a grand and my wife and I are building it to participate in Grassroots Motorsports' 2020 challenge, which is a thing they do every year where you buy and build a race car for a total of 2 grand. With the cost of the car and a few parts I've purchased, I have about $800 remaining to buy suspension and finish tweaking the engine. So far I have a cheap eBay header and intake coming in the mail, and I've been watching Facebook marketplace hoping to find a deal on a used cat back exhaust. I'm planning on boring out the throttle body as much as safely possible and I'm going to try my hand at gasket matching and possibly porting the intake manifold. Also, the car is up to date on all routine maintenance. Motor mounts will be filled with hard polyurethane. Interior will be mostly stripped. I have to admit, building up a sport compact car for as cheap as possible gives me memories of being a teenager again, haha. I've seen some super cheap turbo parts for sale but I don't know anything about building or tuning turbo engines so I would prefer to avoid that for now. I just want to safely boost my horsepower as much as possible for as cheap as possible, and I don't care about streetability.

So are there any things I can do for free or dirt cheap to the D16Z6? I know Hondas of this vintage have a lot of interchangeable parts - can I pick up anything from a junkyard for cheap to improve the power of this engine? Are there any options for a larger factory camshaft? Better intake manifold? I've seen some mention of the Y8 (I think that one) intake manifold, is that a direct swap? If I can find a steal on some A1 pistons I might try to squeeze that in the budget. Cruise control will be removed, we're planning on moving to Florida later this year so I'm keeping the A/C. I have yet to decide on keeping the power steering - I'll be running 225/45R15 Hoosiers for autocrosses, so power steering might be welcomed. I have a big junkyard near me and I'm scouring the internet, so please let me know anything that would help. Thanks!

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,403 Posts

my buddy's Miata. he did the grassroots 2018. ex might be a little heavy with all the powered glass......sell it to me for 1,001$ and got get yourself an integra without the power options lol

·
Registered
1995 Civic EX
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would definitely prefer an integra with a B18, but I'm just making the best of what I have. The sunroof will be removed and replaced with lexan or clear polycarbonate, and the inside of the doors, underside of the hood, and everywhere I can think of will be swiss cheesed. I'll get it as light as possible. I'm just hoping for a bump in power. Or at least some rear disc brakes.

·
Registered
1995 Civic EX
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I picked up a spare cylinder head and intake manifold for the Z6 and I'll be doing some mild porting on them, and right now I'm looking into getting a Delta 272 cam. Bang for the buck, right there. Now I just need to learn about tuning it and chipping the ECU.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Very interesting, I've just joined the site myself to learn more about these D16Z6's. I'll follow along.

Good luck to you!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts