Crower Retainers
Crower Stage 2 Turbo cam
Skunk2 Cam gear
Precision 1000cc injectors

Transmission:
JDM D15b vtec
OBX LSD
Competition stage 5 clutch

I have two headgaskets, a Cometic that will lower the CR to ~9.1:1 or an oem that will leave 10.5:1 cr. If I choose a bigger turbo I will probably use the higher compression to help spool time.

I have my full turbo setup minus my turbo. I have a top mount mani my buddy made and am using a 44mm wastegate.

My budget is really tight so I decided to go with an ebay turbo for now to get my setup running until I can afford a better one. A few friends had great luck with both smaller and bigger ebay turbos, so I decided to give one a try for now.

I want at least 400whp out of my setup and would not be scared to push it to 450-500whp...

So I have narrowed my decision down to two turbos. ..

One is an ebay gt3582, .82/.70.
I know this will make my hp goals no problem, and it has an anti-surge compressor housing. The only thing stopping me from buying this turbo is the lag, I am expecting 6500+ rpm for full boost? Although I plan to rev to 9500.

The second turbo is the 57 trim ebay special.
Lots of guys seem to have great success with this turbo, but limits them to their power. I know I can prob make 400 with this, but thats going to be pushing its limits.

I considered the t3/60-1 but with a turbo that large on a d that doesnt have a lot of head work, I'd want one with an anti-surge housing and ebay dont offer one.

The last choice is an ebay 50 tirm that a friend has. The only reason I am considering this is cause its brand new and he is willing to give it to me for next to nothing. But I know this wont make my 400 goal.

This car is going to be more of a drag car. Its fully gutted with a cage and I plan on running meth to reach my hp goals.

Do you guys have any other suggestions ? or opinions on the above mentioned turbos.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
i say save your money and just wait. also, i say use the factory headgasket and leave it at the higher compression.

·
Registered
455 Posts
you can't even compare eBay turbos to compressor maps because typically they are so far off the measurements they are advertised as. case in point, i have a "57 trim" that's actually 46 and it seems to be a problem amongst other turbos too.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
what about an hx35.....they can be had for the price of an ebay turbo, make the power your looking for and also the holset is a quality products

instead of meth why not look into nitrous...it cools while making power :) and i just so happen to have a new kit for sale 8)

·
Registered
841 Posts
yea just save up the extra pennys..your gonna be disapointed after putting all that money in the motor and then you slap a ebay turd on it and that little turd takes a shit..ebay turbo specs are nvr right..they say one thing and there way dif..they always say 57 trims but im pretty sure there are no 57 trim ebay turbos..correct me if im wrong..just save up for a garret t3/t4 57 trim or 60 trim..there both the same price on go-autoworks..635$

·
Registered
2 Posts
In my opinion, I would say just hold off and get a name brand turbo. Some of my friends have had good results from ebay turbos and some had bad. It comes down to if you want to gamble on it. you decide

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
for now i want the car boosted and dont wanna wait. i know the ebay turbos are smaller than what they say, thats why i chose something as the gt35 for my first choice.

Although the Holset isnt a bad idea either....

·
Registered
118 Posts
I´ll use a Godspeed Turbo.50 ar compressor and .48 ar turbine for my project bro, I´m looking 300WHP. You can use a Godspeed GT35 . You can buy this in Amazon for 350$.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I would think the best ebay brand for turbo is CX racing... But i do agree with Danz.. You can pick up an ebay for about half the price, but since your goals are so high bro i would go with the garrets... Don't cut them corners!!! Good luck with your build!!

·
insert user title here
3,014 Posts
The 57 trim should be able to get you to 450hp. Just make sure you get a real one. One viable option that I like is a rebuilt turbo from a reputable dealer, that might save you a couple hundred dollars.
With that compression ratio Id recommend the oem headgasket, just make sure you have a good tuner. Topmount manifold will be a hair more laggy anyways.
Keep in mind that a 400hp goal must be on pump gas with a d-series unless you have some sort of water/meth injection kit.

·
Administrator
16,376 Posts
The 60-1 might be something to look into. I run one on my gsr and i get full boost (25psi) by 4500rpms on a low comp 81.5mm motor. I would say that the spool shouldn't be to bad on a d. The one I have is a .55ar bullseye from goautoworks

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
You have to bid to get the poor mans gt35r for a better price because they are on the auctions no one bids on. We'll see how it does.

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
I have a GT35 sitting in my storage. I got 100 miles on it, and the thrust bearing wore. It probably would have been fine if I had kept it under 20 psi. But the 270 thrust bearing is garbage.

If you get one, rebuild it before you run it, if youre looking for 400+, and you might have decent luck.

I could sell you mine so you could have it rebuilt...

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Thank you theidealone. Repped.
I haven't run mine yet but now I have questions. PM'd.
It may take me a couple weeks to fab up the dp at work with a mock up engine.

GT35-R Ball Bearing Turbo Charger

Ball Bearing Compressor, Quick and Fast Spool

Works for Many Bigger HP Applications, for 4 to 6 CLYN Engines. Such Civic,

Prelude, S13 S14 240SX, Eclipse, Mustang. It can produce 300 to 500 HP,

Air Inlet 4"
Compressed Air Outlet 2.5"
Bearing Ball Bearing Compressor / Journal Bearing Turbine
Turbine Housing Flange Standard T3
Exhaust Outlet 4-bolt, 3" OD
HP 300~500 WHP
Cooling Oil and Water Cooled
Working Pressure 6-25 PSI
Compressor .70 A/R
Turbine .63 A/R
Compressor Wheel 61.3 /82 mm
Turbine Wheel 62 /67.8 mm
The listing doesn't say anything about a 360* thrust.
What a joke, they're putting these thing together with 270's and most of their journal bearing units with the 360*

Your deal for the op sounds good to me.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts