Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright gentlement (and some ladies) I just put this new turbo on my car and the drain sits lower than my return on my oil pan. I previously had a .42/.48 garrett on there and the return was just barely not vertical. Current turbo is a PT5431B and I'll let the pics speak for themselves.

The problem is my manifold sits lower than normal for some reason. It is an SLS miniram. I DO NOT want to have to get a new manifold. I have another pan I was going to tap a bit lower but I don't know after seeing it if I can go that low, currently it's about an inch down. What do you guys think? What is the absolute lowest you would go on the oil pan? I looked into scavenge pumps but shit if I'm going to pay for that I may as well get a new manifold. :barf:

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
IIRC you should have the return slightly above oil level so that it actually drains and doesn't back up and blow your seals.

:wacko: I hate to say it but it looks like a new manifold is in your future.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Nah it's fine. Oil isn't going to "back up", it's constantly flowing into the pan. Just when you turn the car off a little will sit at the low spot.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
It looks like the drain on the turbo is actually below the pan inlet. With the new retapped pan it might work but i would personally be hesitant. I don't thing the current one will work though. If oil is sitting in the center housing and has no where to go because the drain is horizontal or above horizontal, it's not gonna be happy.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
You may have to make a little tank for it to drain into and then use a pump to pump it back into the oil pan above the oil level.
The tank will prevent the pump from running dry a whole lot, which isnt 100% necessary with the pumps designed for this purpose, but Id still do it.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You may have to make a little tank for it to drain into and then use a pump to pump it back into the oil pan above the oil level.
The tank will prevent the pump from running dry a whole lot, which isnt 100% necessary with the pumps designed for this purpose, but Id still do it.
Do you know any pumps that are reasonable in price that I could use? My first thought was to get a scavenge pump but they are so damn expensive. :(

·
Registered
139 Posts
It looks like the drain on the turbo is actually below the pan inlet. With the new retapped pan it might work but i would personally be hesitant. I don't thing the current one will work though. If oil is sitting in the center housing and has no where to go because the drain is horizontal or above horizontal, it's not gonna be happy.
think of it as a toilet, it is a free flowing drain, pressure is on the high side pushing thru, as long as the hose dont have a kink in it it should be fine

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
pressure is bad. it's supposed to drain through gravity, not being forced.

congrats toilet turbo has been ruined.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Do you know any pumps that are reasonable in price that I could use? My first thought was to get a scavenge pump but they are so damn expensive. :(
Check this link out

Electric Oil Feed and Scavenge Pumps

Ive heard of people using the shurflow pumps on the cheap, but Im not sure if I would trust it. It may be worth a shot though.
Looks like you can get a new legit pump for ~250 bucks, maybe half that for a good used one if you search around.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
think of it as a toilet, it is a free flowing drain, pressure is on the high side pushing thru, as long as the hose dont have a kink in it it should be fine
Good analogy.

But it might be ok since the pressure will push the oil throw the turbo and into the pan some. Then the oil pump will have a small suction.

But idk its still kinda low and its going up hill. Maybe retap the pan lower?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Good analogy.

But it might be ok since the pressure will push the oil throw the turbo and into the pan some. Then the oil pump will have a small suction.

But idk its still kinda low and its going up hill. Maybe retap the pan lower?
you can retap it lower but as I see it, it should be ok,
my setup now is just slightly lower than my oil level and Ive never had a problem, until I turn my return upside down or take the bottom fitting off it will drain some oil

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So what do you guys think the absolute lowest I could tap my pan is? Seems like running a scavenge pump is just more trouble than I want since this is a DD. I'd hate to have one of those go out and have to replace it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
You could run a cast mani on the cheap, it's not as pretty as a mini ram, but it's about the safest, most cost effective option. I mean I would try tapping your spare pan first. But I wanted to point out option incase the oil pan doesn't work out.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
So what do you guys think the absolute lowest I could tap my pan is? Seems like running a scavenge pump is just more trouble than I want since this is a DD. I'd hate to have one of those go out and have to replace it.
When u got time pull the pan then fill it with just shy of 4qt and see where the levele sits. Also know while the motor is on there is less oil in the pan.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You could run a cast mani on the cheap, it's not as pretty as a mini ram, but it's about the safest, most cost effective option. I mean I would try tapping your spare pan first. But I wanted to point out option incase the oil pan doesn't work out.
I don't want to run a cast for because I have a 44mm tial vband wastegate and I do not want to have to purchase a wastegate and manifold.
If this causes me too much grief then I might pick up a new goauto cast mani but I hope it doesn't get to that point.

When u got time pull the pan then fill it with just shy of 4qt and see where the levele sits. Also know while the motor is on there is less oil in the pan.
This sounds like a plan, I'll do that in the morning.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts