Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive searched and seen that some are getting high 20s-30mpg, while hitting boost daily. how are you guys doing that? seems my miles suck..im probably getting low 20s per gallon, which is with some boost, trying to stay in vacuum. 20 bucks of 91 at 3.70 per gallon literally lasted a day, about 100 miles of city and freeway driving. any tricks besides staying out of boost?

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Check tire pressure

Check alignment

Check brakes for drag

Check wheel bearings

Make sure ECU is operating correctly in closed loop and O2 sensor is good

Slow down, >70 mph on the Interstate will put the hurt on your gas mileage.

·
Registered
613 Posts
tire pressure will kill gas mileage. i took off a bent rim that would constantly run low and i gained 20+miles before i have to fill up (then it was 260, now its 280-290 per tank).

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
you sir need a better tune or more info for the post. like:

what is your cruising a/f?
injectors size?
last tune up?
last valve adjustment?
what is your in boost a/f?
what size turbo?

all the above factors with post #2 can effect overall mpg. also, "hitting boost daily" is a very abstract term. since i would allow my car to hit boost once per day, but i was not in boost for very long. so my mpg were never really effected too much. i also used a "laggy" 57 trim t3/t04e turbo, so out of boost WOT was pretty much anything below 3k-3.5k rpms.

3 driving tips for out of boost preformance:

1) down shift. for the love of all that is holy, down shift to 4th when on the freeway trying to pass someone.

2) no WOT. there is no need to WOT while leaving a light or while getting on the freeway. i have found that 3 or 4 psi (with the affore mentioned turbo) is more then enough to accelerate to freeway speed while getting on.

3) turbo cool off and oil pressure/temps. if your driving rather far, you should pull over every hour or so to let the oil and turbo cool off. under the hood the temps are pretty high, and just like anything else automotive, too much heat kills performance. pulling over and letting the turbo/oil cool off will help improve gas milage.

btw i drove my boosted and built y7 across the country (norfolk, va to the bay area of CA, going over all the mountains) with no change to the tune (my dd sea level 18 psi tune) before leaving. i also drove the car with a full 800 lbs of "junk" in the back, not including me but including a fully tank. i averaged 35-40 mpg during the cross country trip, the above tips were what i used while driving.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts