Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was coming home from work tonight and I hit a huge puddle and my eg si stalled at first it wouldn't fire over but after a little coaxing it fired over and now has a pretty bad ticking sound. I thought it might be a valve tick from having water sucked through but my buddy said it might be a rod knock. what are some ways to diagnose/ fix the problem. also when it first fired over after stalling a huge cloud of white smoke came out the exhaust.

·
ministry of mayhem!
93 honda integra
5,680 Posts
running over water puddles = hydrolock. remember, water can't be compressed like air, so when piston goes up bam!, broken piston, valve or rod, shortblock, etc. .... no brownish, milky substance at the radiator / oil dipstick?

one last thing: next time it happens (hope that's your last) don't start the engine. you'll make it worst. hope it helps.

·
ministry of mayhem!
93 honda integra
5,680 Posts
gavin... guess your motor is toast.

·
FAMILY MEMBER #316
2,955 Posts
do a compression test

then leakdown test

why risk blowing the motor while youre out somewhere and get stranded?

·
Worst Mechanic Ever!
EG
2,915 Posts
it still runs should i just drive it till it blows or should i put in a new motor
Pull it apart and see what the damage is. do you have a 2nd car/motor to use?

If it's just knock, you might be able to salvage parts or even repair it. But if it goes, it's gonna go while you are driving it, possibly at a bad time. Maybe you'll be fine, but if you throw oil and metal on the road and it causes an accident, you can't drive away to avoid the finger pointing! Thats just me thinking worse case scenario, but that doesn't make it bad advice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
no car no motor but thankfully i work at a car dealership so i'll have one of the techs look at it and tell me what they think i just didn't want to compound the problem by driving all over the place. weirdly enough its not a huge tick noise its actually quite faint. thats why i thought it was a valve tick at first

1 - 12 of 12 Posts