Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ive got a clarion PXW-1251 Dual 4ohm voice coil subwoofer its 1000w max, 500w rms. Its being powered by a kenwood class d amp putting out 500w rms. Anyway i love this sub it has taken all the abuse ive thrown at it over the years and is still going. The only problem is the surround is ripped now. Ive had to glue the dust cap back on before but that was easy. Ive contacted a few repair websites and their answers are... We dont stock parts for it or its cheaper to replace it. Which if i could find a speaker like it that might be true. I paid about $100 for the sub years ago and as you can imagine they just dont make them like they used to. My only other option would be to repair it myself which i might end up doing since i just love this sub, im just afraid of screwing it up. Otherwise can anyone recommend a sub of equal or greater quality for around $100?

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
What brands have you looked into?

I run 2 dd 8's in my civic. Prolly gonna switch to one sundown 8 for the weight savings. Both subs are rebuidable.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,294 Posts
How bad is the rip? Shoe Goo does wonders but only a temp fix. Best bet is to find a cheap (same) replacement on CL or Ebay.

PXW-1251 is a dual 2 ohm sub from everything I can find, teamclarion .pdf is not loading.

·
Registered
98 Civic HX D16Y5
167 Posts
The Clarion looks like a nice sub. Rebuild it if you can for a reasonable amount.

Otherwise fork over some cash for a competition sub that is rebuildable.

What brands have you looked into?

I run 2 dd 8's in my civic. Prolly gonna switch to one sundown 8 for the weight savings. Both subs are rebuidable.

I like DDs not a bad option.

I have one Sundown SA-8 v2.
Love it! Sounds great on everything.
I went with the 8 to replace my Optidrive 12s. Those were heavy!

·
Registered
276 Posts
I've refoamed many woofers in classic home hi-fi speakers. The foams disintegrate over time, and need replacement. Replacing the entire woofer doesn't really work in that situation, because the original woofers were designed to work with that particular cabinet, crossover, etc... they were designed as a system. It's not that difficult to replace the foams, and there are many people selling the proper sized surrounds for specific home speaker models.

For a car sub, however, I suspect it would be difficult to find the correct replacement foam surrounds. They are thicker and have a much wider 'roll' than home speakers (the cone moves a more... "long throw"). Have you found the right foam for your sub, Neon?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,294 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Not too long ago I picked up a jl audio dual 12w3 sealed box for $150.. Both subs work great and sound awesome in my coupe.. If you can find something similar or even just a single 12w3 I'm sure you would be pleased. Good luck

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Ive blown a set of 12w3's before lol i was only running 125w rms to them. Also blown a few pioneers. I had a sweet pair of jensens that got stolen. Ive looked into a few subs that i think will fit the bill but the more i look it seems the more the price keeps going up from 100 to 200 lol. Ive found a few options to try to re edge my sub which is my first option. I mean what do i have to loose?

I like the planet audio bbd12 at $120 and the mb quart pwm304 at $120 also. I just dont know much about planet audio but their power ratings are really high, i can supply it with 900w rms at 2 or 1ohm and still be under its rms rating.

The rip isnt that bad, you know how most surrounds will crumble apart? My subs surround ripped at the crease on the outer edge right where the bump meets the frame. Seriously clarion went all out on this sub and i would recommend one to anyone. $118 from canada is great but being on the shelf so long i would bet the surround would probably approach the same state mine is in before long.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
neon, go to home depot or a car parts store and find a small tube of rubber seal repair and adhesive.

it dries flexable and sticks very strongly to rubber and plastic.

my stepdad seems to use this on his speaker repair for all his older stuff. gives you about 6 months of daily usage before being risky to rip again

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've been around car audio quite a bit, and for around $100 you can't get much as far as quality goes. Of course you can run to wallmart or w/e and pickup some junk kickers or duals w/e. I would spend the extra few dollars and pick up something quality that will hold its value and take a beating. I prefer SoundQube stuff as it's about the best bang for the buck you can get on a quality sub imo. The HDS200 series is a 2.5" dvc sub for $110, you truely can't beat it. Very underrated at 600rms. Also would suggest Sundown Sa series, although they are a bit more. I've ran a lot of SQ's higher end models like the HDC15's on over 3k RMS daily. They are great quality subs.

HDS200

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
neon, go to home depot or a car parts store and find a small tube of rubber seal repair and adhesive.

it dries flexable and sticks very strongly to rubber and plastic.

my stepdad seems to use this on his speaker repair for all his older stuff. gives you about 6 months of daily usage before being risky to rip again

Lol i glues the dust cap back on with emblem adhesive. Id rather spent the $20 and get a replacement surround.

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've been around car audio quite a bit, and for around $100 you can't get much as far as quality goes. Of course you can run to wallmart or w/e and pickup some junk kickers or duals w/e. I would spend the extra few dollars and pick up something quality that will hold its value and take a beating. I prefer SoundQube stuff as it's about the best bang for the buck you can get on a quality sub imo. The HDS200 series is a 2.5" dvc sub for $110, you truely can't beat it. Very underrated at 600rms. Also would suggest Sundown Sa series, although they are a bit more. I've ran a lot of SQ's higher end models like the HDC15's on over 3k RMS daily. They are great quality subs.

HDS200

Like ive said i inly paid $100 for this sub and it has taken a beating over the years with no problems except the dust cap and now the surround.

Anyone hear of VM Audio? I saw a vcm120 for $110 seems built well and a lot of good reviews. Takes 1500w rms.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
some of the lanzar stuff is okay. look for the beefy style of them. a good 12 from lanzar is about 80 but will need a good tuned box to get rally good output.

Rockeville has their subwoofer line, just like you have their speakers

my 12 year old Fusion Powerplant 12s still hit stupidly freakin hard and they have been in regular use. never had to repair them

·
Registered
38 Posts
You wont find a sub to take a clean 1500 rms reliably for $100. Subs are already cheap, dont skimp. I would really like to see you get a quality sub like Sundown, SQ, american bass. (Just to mention a couple). Just like anything else, you get what you pay for. A sundown SA-12 and youd be stoked and if you ever get a bigger amp later on. itll take a good amount of clean power.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You're right, amost all audio equipment comes from china. Although companies like sundown and DC assemble and make the subs in the united states. Sundown is a super proven brand and probably top 3 in the entire audio industry. Both subs ive recommended are extremely cheap for the quality. Subs in general are. Good high quality monoblocks and electrical is where all your money goes.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts