Honda D Series Forum banner

Subaru TD05-16g

895 Views 28 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Drummrboy67
Can I strap this on my y7 with a bov and adjust boost to 5psi and run stock with a header until I build for more boost?
1 - 10 of 29 Posts
Just because something COULD be done does not mean it SHOULD be done. Better off getting a decent 4-2-1 header, ditching the y7 intake manifold for a b7, z6, or y8, and getting a tuning solution first. Then go from there, maybe pick up a long block from somewhere and build it for boost. Then put in about 60 hours of research on turbo options and decide how much and where you want the power.
So ya- got ca /4to1 1.75" header/flofx 3"to dual 2.5" I'll post a photo of the adapter I built LMAO (sounds great and breathes well 馃槈. I'm trying to pick up the Y8 intake as we speak. Figured out the IAC STUFF . I was basically trying to see if it makes sense to by higher cfm turbo for future use. I really actually want to keep this care a semi-dependable daily driver so maybe a t3/t4 is a better choice? I just liked the idea of the Subaru turbine- looks like a cool little rig for the money.

So ya- got ca /4to1 1.75" header/flofx 3"to dual 2.5" I'll post a photo of the adapter I built LMAO (sounds great and breathes well 馃槈. I'm trying to pick up the Y8 intake as we speak. Figured out the IAC STUFF . I was basically trying to see if it makes sense to by higher cfm turbo for future use. I really actually want to keep this care a semi-dependable daily driver so maybe a t3/t4 is a better choice? I just liked the idea of the Subaru turbine- looks like a cool little rig for the money.
Also Aem wide and showing up Tommorrow - I was going to go SAFC Neo or II fort the time being ? Does that sound reasonable?
I would look into the "disco potato" it suits the D well, it can be dialed down or up to work with power goals of 250-380whp, has a few turbine housing options that allow tuning of spool characteristics, and is pretty readily available.
Holy shit - how could I not want the Disco Potato! Thanks for the reccomendation brother
Actually, we can now break the 400whp barrier with the modded Disco Potato. And she still does really well at the 200whp level as well. Spool at 2k, 5 psi by 2300, full boost by 2800 with a DOHC ZC. Can't wait to see how it does on a Single cam and on a B16. Perfect turbo for 1.6 liters
I really do want to just turbo and get fuel control going for now. Will stock ecm be sufficient?
Ya know ya make a damn good point. Can you make a reccomendation on a quality strap supplier?
So OBD1 - got it thanks so much!
stock ecu is fine when CHIPPED.

Easiest and by far the cheapest standalone setup is a speeduino with the $45 OBD1 plug and play adapterboard. Depending on deals, you can be in for under $500, and including the cost of the AEM UEGO you seem to have bought.

stock 240cc injectors are good for an absolutely blistering 150whp or so of power before they start to have trouble. You can go further, but not worth the risk of leaning out.

If you need injectors, I have a set of ID 600's, else I highly recommend finding a set of OEM honda RDX 410cc blue injectors. They flow more than 500cc at 60psi of rail pressure. Stock fuel pump is going to be hurting, so a walbrto 190 is a great drop in, supports over 400whp boosted, and is rarely fake-manufactured, compared to the more popular Walbro 255 pumps.

Else a stock hellcat fuel pump can be found on ebay with a wiring harness for $150. Easy to source, plenty reliable, and proven to handle very high pressures.
Sweet- thanks for heads up on Speeduino I hadnt heard about it so cool- I was going to Neo and bolt on a y8 with y8 injectors
Just because something COULD be done does not mean it SHOULD be done. Better off getting a decent 4-2-1 header, ditching the y7 intake manifold for a b7, z6, or y8, and getting a tuning solution first. Then go from there, maybe pick up a long block from somewhere and build it for boost. Then put in about 60 hours of research on turbo options and decide how much and where you want the power.
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn! $80 with rail and injectors - can I use the injectors with SAFC 2 or Neo ?

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn! $80 with rail and injectors - can I use the injectors with SAFC 2 or Neo ?

Attachments

See less See more
Boost/power output is relative to turbo efficiency and engine volumetric efficiency, 5 psi on a certain turbo/engine setup could net 170whp, while 5 psi on the same engine with a different cam and turbo might make 215 at 5 psi. and yeah the y8 injectors after a cleaning will handle the 170 with a good tuner, but that 85% duty cycle will shorten their life span, 80 is a decent price for the manifold injectors and rail, and the y8 injectors are an upgrade to the y7s, so count it a win but plan on upgrading injectors when it gets boosted. 馃槂
so i should be able to bolt the y8 intake with y8 injectors on y7 with CA/header/exhaust and it will run RICH I'm guessing?

Attachments

See less See more
Yes, and idle Is going to be iffy until you have a tuning solution as well, but if iat, ect, map and o2 are in good shape it should still run ok ish.
Honestly runs really well with good power with y7 . I'm actually pretty impressed with the CA/header/exhaust power increase. A little O2 goes a long way on these little cars. Just got expansion valve on evaporator last night. It's almost summer and I'm in Houston soooo..... doing afr tonight and then the intake in prep for the disco potato project. Is SAFC and y8 injectors sufficient to get decent boosted power out of y7?
1 - 10 of 29 Posts