Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about the exhaust pipe from the downpipe all the way to the muffler.

The car will not work without the secondary O2 senor right?

Its an EK with a y8 head on a y7 block. Down below I explained why I asked this question.

The other day I drove this baby from south dallas to north and right in the middle of the highway something happened and it was LOUD. BANG! clack!clack! (silence)... I dont know what the hell it was but I saw smoke in my rear mirror. A lot of smoke and the car stop running.

Ofc I pulled over to check it out and leave it there until I can tow it. I try to start it again, it runs very loud for only 3 secs and then stalls.

I did not know what the hell it was but I was going to swap the motor until I found out that the cataylic converter and the O2 senor was missing. These things fell off right in the middle of the highway! wtf. The O2 wires was just hanging there without the senor! that is great bec i sure dont feel like swapping it. lol i can just replace the part

So i took the exhaust pipe from my eg civic and put it on my ek civic. Ofc it had no 2nd O2 senor. It did not work.

Actually there is 3 question...

-Obd2 car will not run without the O2 senor right?

-What could have caused the catalyic converter to pop right off? (I want to aviod this from happening next time)

-Is it possible that this loud bang have messed up the engine?
(I won't know until i replace the exhaust pipe and o2 senor which I dont have the money for yet.)

I just bought this EK 1 and a half month ago with 145,XXX miles. Now i got 2 non working cars and it would be great if you guys can help me get it to working without spending too much money.

1996 civic coupe EX- stock y7 with y8 head (new exhaust pipe and O2 senor shld have it up and running)
1995 civic coupe DX- stock d16z6 (the timing is an ass)

·
Registered
547 Posts
to my knownledge. a fuck up o2 would not stop the car from running. most of the time it just go in to a open loop and run from a program fuel map.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
to my knownledge. a fuck up o2 would not stop the car from running. most of the time it just go in to a open loop and run from a program fuel map.
Gee... Now that put more ideas in my head. Now I am thinking that something is wrong with the motor.

What about the catalyic converter? Can the car run without it?

·
Registered
547 Posts
yea the back o2 is to make sure the cat is working right. the cat is for emission. i am pretty sure u do not need the cat to run a car. eva heard of people running a open pipe= no cat.

it dose not sound to good for your motor. seem like something just gave up on u . dose the engine even turn over by hand?

·
Registered
223 Posts
something happened and it was LOUD. BANG! clack!clack! (silence)... I dont know what the hell it was but I saw smoke in my rear mirror. A lot of smoke and the car stop running.
From reading that and the missing cat....I'd say you threw a rod, through the block or oil pan and on it's exit it decided to take the O2 and cat on vacation as well.....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
yea the back o2 is to make sure the cat is working right. the cat is for emission. i am pretty sure u do not need the cat to run a car. eva heard of people running a open pipe= no cat.

it dose not sound to good for your motor. seem like something just gave up on u . dose the engine even turn over by hand?
the first 2 or 3 times it turns over for 3 to 5 secs and then dies. Later, it doesn't turn at all. Within those 5 secs, it runs really really..... REALLLLLY loud. So loud that it sounds scary.

From reading that and the missing cat....I'd say you threw a rod, through the block or oil pan and on it's exit it decided to take the O2 and cat on vacation as well.....
that one made me laugh although its disappointing to hear. lolol.

Now I got a feeling that I will have to swap the motor out. I will take the head off and check the block and see if all the pistons are moving. I will do this after I get my eg fixed.

I know one thing for sure.... I do not want to buy a whole engine bec I cant afford it. If the block is fucked, I just want to buy another block and reuse the same head. There is a possibility that the piston have slapped against the head but how will I know? If the piston did hit the head, should I get another engine or resurface the existing one?

I would LOVE to rebuild the y7 for a turbo setup but sigh... I just don't have that kind of money.... yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts