Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm helping a buddy with his timing belt change. It's a 2000 Civic EX with a D16Y8. I'm not a Honda guy, so forgive me if some of my terminology is incorrect.

Yesterday:
We took it all apart, made sure everything was lined up, and swapped belts. We also put a new waterpump and belt tensioner in. Rotated the engine a few times by hand, (why in the hell do Honda engines spin backward?), adjusted the belt tension and tightened down the tensioner. We put it all back together and it doesn't want to start. It sounds like 1 cylinder is firing while the other 3 are not.

Today:
Went back out and too it all apart again because I thought maybe the belt had jumped a tooth when it tried to start the first time. Everything looked fine. The TDC mark on the crank sprocket deal lines up perfectly with the arrow on the block and at the same time the cam gear spoke that says "UP" is up, and the 2 dash marks on the gear are level with the top of the cylinder head. I re-tensioned the belt for good measure while we were in there.

Thinking that maybe we damaged the CKF sensor, I took it out and measured its resistance between pins 1 and 3 and came up with 2.1 which is in spec by what I've found.

We put everything back together and lined everything up to TDC with the crank pulley on just to make sure, and the cam gear lined up to TDC perfectly.

Jump in the car and try to start it, no dice. Sounds the exact same as the previous day.

So I'm stumped:
-Everything appears to be perfectly in time.
-The car does not throw any ECU codes when jumpering the 2 pin plug and watching the Check Engine light.
- There is spark to all 4 plugs, however it is weak in my opinion. Orangeish spark.
-When we were cranking it over for the first time yesterday, I smelled raw fuel like it was dumping gas. I pulled the plugs out and they were wet with fuel.

I don't have a compression tester or a timing light here at the moment but I'll probably try and get one later.

So, is there anything we missed, or have any idea on what to check next?

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Well, before you dove into this project it ran fine right? Okay, well that does narrow down if it did. Like you said, it could be the CPS...but more likely it's just timing. Where did you get the belt from? Part number? Y8 belt supposedly, yes? How many teeth on the belt?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, the car ran fine before. My buddy picked up the belt from a local Honda dealer. He checked the part number vs the one that was on the car and they matched.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes we did, and they are back on in the right order. Kinda easy since NGKs are numbered, and the length of each makes it obvious where they go.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Check to see if the metal blade that goes between the crank position sensor is installed correctly . Or check the wires from the CPS make sure it is plugged in correctly . That's all I can think of for now . Good Luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What do you mean? I don't remember any metal piece associated with the crank sensor. If there was one, that could very well be the problem because there sure isn't one there now.

What is there now, is just the sensor bolted to the block with the 10mm bolt, with the magnetic face next to the crank sprocket. Is there supposed to be something in between the sensor and the crank sprocket?

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Okay, so we've got the right belt. We know that the CPS has proper voltage. The wires are in correct firing order. Enough fuel in the tank?

Besides the water pump, the belt, the wires, and the CPS...did you remove, change, or do anything else?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We took the starter off to try and lock the motor down with a screwdriver on the flexplate's ring gear, but we eventually gave in and bought one of the crank pulley stopper tool things.

I also took off the ground going to the power steering bracket to get a bit more working room, but we bolted it back on.

Other than that, no.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Just to make sure, the ignition timing gets its reference from the cam correct?

So if the cam is in time with the crank, then the ignition is in time with everything, or is that wrong?

We never touched the distributer or anything in that area.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Just to make sure, the ignition timing gets its reference from the cam correct?

So if the cam is in time with the crank, then the ignition is in time with everything, or is that wrong?

We never touched the distributer or anything in that area.
sounds about right

Which mark are you using as tdc on the crank pulley? There should be one by itself (tdc) and then three together that you use with a timing gun.

It really sounds like you dont have them in the right firing order, i know you said they are numbered (ive seen them labeled wrong), but if you took them off the dizzy for some reason you could eaily put them on wrong.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Did you ever take the plugs off the dizzy, or just out of the head? Hard to mess it up if still attached to the dizzy.

Did you disconnect any wires/cables to the starter?

Try cleaning/sanding/grinding down the grounding area for a proper ground.

Since it has been a while since I timed my Z6, can your crank be out of time by a complete 360 degree revolution or the cam?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
GOT IT RUNNING!

It ended up being the vac line came off the cruise control module, and it was semi-flooded. Runs very well now.

Thanks to all that helped!

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
GOT IT RUNNING!

It ended up being the vac line came off the cruise control module, and it was semi-flooded. Runs very well now.

Thanks to all that helped!
From the CC? Odd that it wouldn't start with just that removed. Anyhow, good to hear!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts