Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,me again

Can a 1600 sohc vtec motor be stroked to a 1800 and has anyone done this before?

·
Registered
Magnum RT
1,409 Posts
I'm sure that if you sleeved the motor, bored it about .040 to .050 over, and increased the stroke, you could get CLOSE to 1.8L. I could be mistaken...someone else wanna jump in on this?

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
I'm sure that if you sleeved the motor, bored it about .040 to .050 over, and increased the stroke, you could get CLOSE to 1.8L. I could be mistaken...someone else wanna jump in on this?
Yes you could and it has been done before but, if IIRC, it didn't last very long. Whether that was a consequence of the build, tune, or the logistics of the motor itself idk.

D-series already have a poor rod / stroke ratio, any particular reason why you want to make it worse?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes you could and it has been done before but, if IIRC, it didn't last very long. Whether that was a consequence of the build, tune, or the logistics of the motor itself idk.

D-series already have a poor rod / stroke ratio, any particular reason why you want to make it worse?
Ok get what you saying.

·
Registered
330 Posts
B16A Rods matched with non-US Supra 1G-GTE pistons:

I calculated the following #'s for this combo
Piston volume = -7cc dish
Compression height = 33mm
Rod length = 134mm

Pro's of this setup = Strong B16 rods and forged Supra pistons

This is information has been gathered from Turbopanda ( username on www.honda-tech.com ). He sells this set-up for about $400.

The shorter B16 rods with a D16 stroke will result in a 1.49 rod/stroke ratio, down from the stock D16 1.52 R/S ratio.

The Toyota pistons' height make up for the length of the rod, that's why it’s still usable in a D series engine.

1G-GTE Supra pistons are 75mm. B16A rods are a lot stronger than D16 rods, and can handle boost way better. The rods are modified in order to accept the Toyota pistons. Installation is as simple as replacing your pistons and rods. The Crankshaft needs no modification, although the bottom of the short block will need to be notched a little so that there is enough clearance for the B16A rods

This info is provided from a stickie in engine building off this site.

·
Registered
555 Posts
ive been temted to build the stroked D for a while, i just cant find the rotating assembly and i heard they dont last long. if you go for it start a build thread i want to see it done

·
Registered
330 Posts
^ that is some great info!

Not mine...found it while searching for rod options....see the engine building sticky for lots more that I ran across...tips from lots of old school members!

redragn53 the set up you speak of, does it use the stock 16 crank or the d17?
Stock D16 crank according to the info.

·
Registered
330 Posts
ive been temted to build the stroked D for a while, i just cant find the rotating assembly and i heard they dont last long. if you go for it start a build thread i want to see it done

One of the Honda mags did a "Junkyard D-Series Stroker" article with the D17 rotating assy in a D16...think there is a link if you search...need to read the article myself

·
Registered
944 Posts
REDRAGN53

B16A Rods matched with non-US Supra 1G-GTE pistons:

I calculated the following #'s for this combo
Piston volume = -7cc dish
Compression height = 33mm
Rod length = 134mm

Pro's of this setup = Strong B16 rods and forged Supra pistons

This is information has been gathered from Turbopanda ( username on www.honda-tech.com ). He sells this set-up for about $400.

The shorter B16 rods with a D16 stroke will result in a 1.49 rod/stroke ratio, down from the stock D16 1.52 R/S ratio.

The Toyota pistons' height make up for the length of the rod, that's why it’s still usable in a D series engine.

1G-GTE Supra pistons are 75mm. B16A rods are a lot stronger than D16 rods, and can handle boost way better. The rods are modified in order to accept the Toyota pistons. Installation is as simple as replacing your pistons and rods. The Crankshaft needs no modification, although the bottom of the short block will need to be notched a little so that there is enough clearance for the B16A rods

De-stroke it...with the better r/s ratio you could spin the hell out of it (given the correct cam and valve springs)!

wait a second
b16rods fit in a d16???? only a bit notching?? dude that makes me horny :)

if i undertsnad right, how sound this

Zc sohc
Z6 head (with nice stuff)
p29 pistons
b16 rods
ITBS

would this work?? if yes it would sound like an Horny Japanese Scool Girl yeahhh

pls write more about this shit :) feed my brain with infos

·
Registered
330 Posts
http://www.knology.net/~jediklc/pistonnotes.htm

This is where I got my info from sent the link to builthatch... he reviewed it (verified it was from a reputable old d-series member) and stickied it in Engine Building

PM Bone and see if he remembers...he has some info on there as well!

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts
knology?

the one with the fucked up compression calc that won't fix it causing people to come up with weird numbers.

I think you can see my opinion.

DEstroke your D, not stroke your wii.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Thats what the setup described does...are you saying it is no good?

builthatch said is was posted by solblu...sorry Bone but I am a little tired and having trouble with deciphering your wit today.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts
solblu grabbed the info from HondaTech

same way he incorrectly grabbed a single number so his compression calc. Never verified the info.

I'd trust a more reliable source.

Besides, with rods so cheap, its not worth the costs to have the B16 rods thinned to fit on a D16 journal.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Thanks for the reply...I guess it does let us know that it is possible (not cost effective) to fit B16 rods on a D16 crank, there by decreasing the stroke and r/s angle. Same as the LS rods but with a decrease in piston to deck height which is made up for by the tall Supra pistons.

If someone had a set laying around and a spare block it would be a cool project! 10k rpm D!

At least he did choose to "borrow" some good (read bone spec) info :TU:

·
Registered
834 Posts
I'm building one too (sql knows). 78mm Darton sleeved block and D17 crank/rods. Goes out for machining on Monday next week.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts