Honda D Series Forum banner

STROKED DOHC D16a1/ZC

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  mattliston 
#1 ·
So I've been digging through the search box on swapping out the d16 crank on my D16a1 to the D17. But can't find any hard info on swapping out the crank on a DOHC D-series. Has anyone done this to a DOHC?

#3 ·
the biggest problem will be with the timing belt gear on the crankshaft - most all of the D17 cranks used in the D16 blocks have been on the SOHC engines in which the D17 timing belt gear can be used (after machining off the crank trigger wheel) since it has the same number of teeth (19) as the SOHC D16 - unfortunately, the DOHC ZC (17 teeth) or the D16A1 (20 teeth) don't share the same timing belt gear that is used on the SOHC D16, and they won't fit on the D17 crank - it would need to be bored out and re-splined for the D17 crank - here is an article about the D17 crank in the SOHC D16 which goes into everything else that needs to be done:

D-Series Tech - High Compression Stroker - Honda Tuning Magazine

#4 ·
not all the DOHC-swap setup cranks need to be shaved.

considering a B series pulley fits on the d17 crank to potentially make it a machinist-free swap, im sure one or more of the dohc crank pulleys can be found to fit.

24mm snout? im foggy on the details for sure.

but the stroker setup is worth the trouble regardless. but you do limit yourself to either stock d17 rods or only aftermarket d17 rods, and the thinner big ends tend to reduce strength, so keep her under 180whp or so lol

#6 ·
Im pretty sure there is a D or ZC dohc crank pulley and timing gear that will fit right onto it. I remember reading about the zc dohc having 2 different snout sizes, one being the same as B series.

Someone with more knowledge will have to way in.

For now, I suggest finding out your current snout size, the d17 snout size, and seeing if there are any pulley swaps.

I am foggy on d17 crank swaps, I simply have a general idea, but I also am confident I can simply search if I ever get a d17 crank, versus trying to learn now. lol

#8 ·
search adn learn. I personally dont know the answer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.