Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a black intercooler and I come to discover that it's painted, not anodized, and it has some bent fins. Nothing too bad though. I message the seller about it and since they don't have the same one unpainted they are refunding me the money and I get to keep the intercooler. Since it is already the dimensions that i wanted I'm going to just strip the paint off this one and use it. What I want to know is, how do I strip the paint off without damaging the surface integrity of the aluminum? Will regular paint remover work? what about aircraft paint remover? I'm sure purple power of easy off will make short work of it but I'm weary of damaging the actual surface of the piece.

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
aircraft stripper is probably your best bet for removing the paint without damaging the alum.

·
endo_bobo
1998 Civic Sedan
883 Posts
Aircraft stripper or if you have enough of it let it sit in brake fluid for a week.

·
B-series Destroyer
4g 4d civic
913 Posts
+1 on the aircraft stripper. spray on, wait 10 minutes and rinse off with hose.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,305 Posts
don't use the spray on, doesn't work as good as the gel. WEAR PROTECTIVE GLOVES.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I've decided on keeping it black. My old intercooler is 27x5.5x2.5 with 2.25 inlets. My new one is 27.25x5.5x2.5 with 2.5 inlets. Only the very exterior is painted and it seems to be a light coat so I figure whatever efficiency I lose is negligible and will be made up for with the increased inlet size.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts