Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after changing out my water pump, timing belt, and head gasket...we were torquing the head down and one of the bolts keeps slipping...we arent even able to get past the first sequence of torque...

i saw that someone suggested drilling it and retapping it...

we though about getting a longer bolt...so maybe it gets past the bad thread....

we can torque down the bolt without the head on...no problem...

we are perplexed...

some help please...this is my daily driver...

its the fourth bolt on the intake side...if that helps anyone...

i guess this also explains why i was exchanging water and oil slowly...

HELP!!!

·
Registered
383 Posts
just throwing this out there but when my uncle and i were building an engine the bolts were actually to weak and would stretch. Thankfully we relized something was wrong before we broke one. We were unsure how it got so weak in the first place. Maybe someone over torqued it before us and stretched it past its elastic limit. Just a suggestion. Unsure if that helps.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i am using new honda oem head bolts...the bolts arent stripped...its the hole on the block it goes in...

·
Registered
383 Posts
it is time to learn about helicoil's my friend. You should ask a honda technician if that is a viable option for you.

·
Registered
383 Posts
you drill an oversized hole into the original thread. the size of hole you drill is dependant on the helicoil manufature specs.you then tap the hole to helicoil manufacturer specification. you then use a special install tool to install what looks like a tightly wound spring. when installed correctly this spring will mimic the threads that are cut into your block for the bolt. they work very well.

·
Registered
My Car
171 Posts
helicoils or time-certs. Time-certs are pretty dam good. I've had to do it to a friends engine before. I was torquing his gsr head down and it was the last torque/last head stud and it came out. Sounded like a 22 cal. going off. But you can replace them easily.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
my mechanic said the same thing....but he was concerned with torque...

i told him the head bolts get 49 lb of torque and he didnt think there would be a problem...

what about heat?

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
permatex sells a stripped thread repair kit that can take alot of trq... may wanna check that out

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i just went and looked at time certs...they make a kit specifically for honda...i wonder if i can get that locally...

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
97 Honda Civic
1,784 Posts
I've seen people heli-coil blocks, but i am not too sure if it ever held up for many years, but even after a few months to a year it held up. Now this was in a small block chevy, so depending on compression specs you will have the same luck. cuz the vortec chevy small blocks were putting out about the same compression most of the D's are, so it's not gonna be too bad. cylinder pressures may vary, but unless you are gonna be experiencing head lift with mad boost, heli-coil is fine.

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
Time-certs are _)(#$_)(#$ fantastic. Helicoils are decent. Both will be fine if installed correctly.

<---- has done waaaaaaay too many bolt-hole repairs

This can be done by hand, but if you are a hack with a drill and can't freaking keep things level and straight, don't do it yourself. THE most important thing when using any thread repair insert is drilling a straight hole!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Time-certs are _)(#$_)(#$ fantastic. Helicoils are decent. Both will be fine if installed correctly.

<---- has done waaaaaaay too many bolt-hole repairs

This can be done by hand, but if you are a hack with a drill and can't freaking keep things level and straight, don't do it yourself. THE most important thing when using any thread repair insert is drilling a straight hole!
thats why i like the timeserts kit...it came with everything pre-marked and a drill guide...

1 - 20 of 91 Posts