Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic EX
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I'm embarrassed to ask this question but I really need help so here it goes.

I installed ARP Head studs in my D16Y8 a few months ago and when I did I used a 1/2 socket from a hardware store (generic company as far as I know) and when I was torquing the bolts down they got stripped before I reached the recommended tq. I think they are around 50 ft-lbs right now but that isn't the important part as this car has been totaled due to an idiot truck driver who hit me. I have a 2000 Ex now and I want to pull the old engine out of the wrecked car and rebuild it. That means the bolts have to come off and they are stripped.

Long story short, I need to know how to get the bolts off. If I have to buy new head studs that is alright so if breaking them more is the only option to remove them then I will do it I just am unsure of how to do it because there isn't much room to get a tool in there. Also any tips on how to not let this happen again when I put the engine back together again? Was it the socket or something I did?

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
it was both something you did, and the socket.

you need a 12mm 12 point deep socket. you wont strip anything with that.

use a kit like this to remove the damaged nuts

·
Registered
'02 Civic LX Coupe
609 Posts
Tap and die set is a great thing to have around the shop. That could save a lot of people's asses from sure toil.

·
Registered
05 Legacy GT
867 Posts
Buy good tools. I like Sears Craftsman. Most guy's use them. They alway's seem to have sales on tools, keep your eye's open.

Try the ez-out type tool like danz showed you. If that doesn't work talk to a local machine shop.

If your going to work on your car, you need good tools. Don't skimp, you have already learned one lesson.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
yup those easy outs are craftsman.
craftsman is great when they have sales. plus the warranty is exceptional.

but hell, if u can afford MAC/Snap-On go that route! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts