Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
90' CRX
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a d16z6, it came with a clutch. I took it off and found out 3 bolts to the flywheel on the crank are stripped out. I'm kind of stuck on what to do, because i have a brand new clutch to put on, and i would hate to lose the whole motor because of the strip.

Just looking for some opinions and suggestions, i was thinking about bringing it to a machine shop to see if they can drill it out and re-do it.

I was also thinking about buying a new crank, but budget wise it might take a bit.

Thanks fellas~

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
Just bought a d16z6, it came with a clutch. I took it off and found out 3 bolts to the flywheel on the crank are stripped out. I'm kind of stuck on what to do, because i have a brand new clutch to put on, and i would hate to lose the whole motor because of the strip.

Just looking for some opinions and suggestions, i was thinking about bringing it to a machine shop to see if they can drill it out and re-do it.

I was also thinking about buying a new crank, but budget wise it might take a bit.

Thanks fellas~
ebay for a new crank, Either that or drill/tap for a helicoil.

·
Registered
see above
4,258 Posts

Thanks fellas~
well looks like your gonna need to start a turbo build now =). hey atleast you will make some powa!. def. on the new crank. some one on here has a long block for sale 100 bucks i belive

·
Registered
90' CRX
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kind of an old thread, but i had to take care of some personal business before i jumped back onto fixing the motor.

Either way, i'm back with the same problem. Any more suggestions? Anyone have a z6 crank for sale? or knows where i can get one? Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
1993 Cobra
4,036 Posts
they are the same, why not drill them all out and re-tap them all to the same size? Then i would think that you wouldnt need to re-balance it. Just an idea...

·
Registered
90' CRX
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
they are the same, why not drill them all out and re-tap them all to the same size? Then i would think that you wouldnt need to re-balance it. Just an idea...
I've been looking up different ideas on how to fix this. The motor is going to be built for turbo sooner or later, and i was reading if you're just a hair off while drilling them, the flywheel will be off balance.

but do you think drilling and re-tapping would be reliable enough for turbo? definitely shoot me your opinion. the more the better!

·
www.rifftrax.com
1996 Civic Ex Sedan
1,517 Posts
just get a new crank. they aren't that expensive and you don't want to take chances.

·
Registered
90' CRX
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just get a new crank. they aren't that expensive and you don't want to take chances.
That's what i was thinking. I've been looking around, i found a fella on here selling a d16a6 crank. Do you or anyone know if it will fit in the z6? is there any difference or are they the same?

I don't want to run into any problems down the line.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
how far down are they stripped?

i knew this one guy *cough* who accidentally used automatic transmission flex plate bolts instead of manual transmission flywheel bolts (longer). Well those bolts pulled out. But he retapped the threads and used the right bolts and his flywheel is still running strong to 8k to this day...

·
Registered
90' CRX
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
it will fit.
Awesome, thanks for the info, is there any performance difference?

how far down are they stripped?

i knew this one guy *cough* who accidentally used automatic transmission flex plate bolts instead of manual transmission flywheel bolts (longer). Well those bolts pulled out. But he retapped the threads and used the right bolts and his flywheel is still running strong to 8k to this day...
I'm not to sure, i will try to find out, maybe even take a picture. Keep the opinions coming, they're a lot of help!

·
www.rifftrax.com
1996 Civic Ex Sedan
1,517 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the info, is there any performance difference?
i'm pretty sure the only difference is that the z6 crank has 4 oiling holes per journal and the a6 has two (like a y7/y8 crank)

·
Registered
Civic
882 Posts
Stripped as in the heads are rounded? Weld a nut to the top of the bolt and get them out.

·
www.rifftrax.com
1996 Civic Ex Sedan
1,517 Posts
Stripped as in the heads are rounded? Weld a nut to the top of the bolt and get them out.
if this is the case and you don't have a welder, what i did when this happened was get some weird sized 12 point standard sockets. it was something like 15/32 or 23/64 or something odd like that and just hammered it onto the head of the bolt and got it off with an impact gun.

but if its the threads inside the crank that are stripped, then make a boat anchor or a mailbox pedestal out of it.

·
Registered
90' CRX
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
if this is the case and you don't have a welder, what i did when this happened was get some weird sized 12 point standard sockets. it was something like 15/32 or 23/64 or something odd like that and just hammered it onto the head of the bolt and got it off with an impact gun.

but if its the threads inside the crank that are stripped, then make a boat anchor or a mailbox pedestal out of it.
The threads are stripped inside and the bolts are. I think i am just going to get a new crank shaft. I've been talking to someone about a d16a6 crank. The only thing he said the difference is:

"The snout is the side that the crankshaft pulley is on. So you will need an 91 CRX SI d16a6 pulley."

Is this right?

Thanks again for all the replys.

·
www.rifftrax.com
1996 Civic Ex Sedan
1,517 Posts
i don't know, but i'm sure someone will answer that for you. i'm aware that some cranks have different snout sizes, but i could never keep straight which was which.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts