Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Little bit of rice and paper plates, or other flat items, under your tires, so you can move the wheels easier.

Take pics and have patients and share the outcome. I use some redneck thinking to get my stuff dialed in as far as camber, toe and others I leave to some one else still.

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,832 Posts
I go to remember this thread after the suspension is done on my car.
Subscribe the thread and then whenever you want to find it just look at all your sub'd threads

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
I did mines long time ago and i got it right and the car drove great and tires like years.

that video is pretty good. the main thing to make sure is that your back is correct.
A good tape measure and some match and you can square it off easily.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,267 Posts
Note the front track and rear track are different. Thinking they are the same will result in toe-out and quick wearing front tires.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
If u have ever done alignments on an actual rack...u would never consider doing a DIY alignment, unless it's to get it down the street to a shop that does alignments. Just my 2 cents.
Ive done both.
If you have your own rack then hell yea its 10 tomes better.
If you got cash to pay someone to do 9t on a rack yea.

But if your broke and you just replace some tie rods or a bushing. Then string it and it will be fine.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,267 Posts
toe plates and two tape measures, just have to be aware of any sidewall bulge where the tire hits the pavement, even with the angled lower....

LongAcre Toe Plates w/Tapes - SafeRacer

String method and a digital caliper + some trig will get you so very close it is not funny. Close enough suspension compliance has more effect.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
toe plates and two tape measures, just have to be aware of any sidewall bulge where the tire hits the pavement, even with the angled lower....

LongAcre Toe Plates w/Tapes - SafeRacer

String method and a digital caliper + some trig will get you so very close it is not funny. Close enough suspension compliance has more effect.
Thats not a bad price. Might buy if i ever get free money.

I had a summit mag that had a kit bit they wanted like $300.
It does do camber tho and it clips to the outisde of the rim for toe adjustment.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Firestone only charged me $160 for lifetime allignment.. So that's where it is.. Guess I wimped out on the "cool" way..
Make sure to get a before and after alignment sheet every time you go in. They love to "do alignments"...

·
Registered
844 Posts
make the needed material to 6 8 10 off the front lower balljoints to the rear lca with plumbbobs one side at a time triple check.... If you can understand that :3dtard: then its just that easy

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,267 Posts
Thats not a bad price. Might buy if i ever get free money.

I had a summit mag that had a kit bit they wanted like $300.
It does do camber tho and it clips to the outisde of the rim for toe adjustment.
For camber you only need a roofers square, digital calipers, and math.

Level floor not needed, but smooth as possible with min. incline.

Also, phone app for that :)

·
Registered
ej8
104 Posts
I also did wheel alignment like on the video, three years ago. But after first couple adjustments I pushed the car back and forth maybe two times during alignment to take the strain from wheels even more. It took little longer but I ended up with good results. I run the car 100 mph on good strait road and took the hands of the wheal and car vent strait perfectly ( don't think I'm crazy lol ) And later when I did rear bushings and rear disk brakes I was to lazy to do alignment again. So i vent to the sears and front corrections was very little not greater than 0.5 degree. The rear can't tell you because rear break conversion

·
Registered
1996 Civic Type DX
4,167 Posts
Works great if you use jigs that bolt to the bumpers (not the bumper covers). Otherwise, take it to an alignment shop.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts