Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is the most dreaded question of all time.

I apologize in advance. I'm ready to buy though!

With that said, I've been doing research for MONTHS and just keep getting endless options that aren't helping me narrow anything down. Seems like most people have loftier goals than I do, and I don't want to go with a bigger turbo than I need and have a laggy/peaky powerband that'll be out of my street goals.

I'm not looking for insane peak HP numbers. Just want a fun street car. This car will never be on a race track ever.

Mild d16z6 build, goal is a STREETable 220-230whp with a STREET powerband. I won't be revving any higher than about 7k or 7.2k RPM. I would like to make power in the ~3k-7K range.

Car sees a lot of highway driving with an SI trans, so cruising RPM is exaclty 3K or so.

What turbo should I go with? Please tell me SPECIFICALLY your recommendation. Not just generically "t3/T4"

I've heard everything from a T25, T28, T3, T3/T4 etc.

Some of the recommendations I've gotten so far from local enthusiasts are:

T3/t4 50 trim .63AR

T3/t4 50 trim .48AR hot side "for better spool"

Someone else said T3 60 trim with a .48ar hot side?

Someone else said T28?

Others just say "t3/t4" with no recommendations for specific sizes

Need help!

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
Greddy TD04H-15G

you're right in the meat of its map at 230whp and you can retain PS/AC easily.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
only thing about the DSM is the fact that you have to use a compressor outlet pipe. only way around it is a different compressor housing and different wastegate actuator or external waste gate. heres my big 16G setup. end up costing me around $200 for comp housing and actuator. KINUGAWA makes these for tons of different types of turbos....

T28 would be good...

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
only thing about the DSM is the fact that you have to use a compressor outlet pipe. only way around it is a different compressor housing and different wastegate actuator or external waste gate. heres my 16G setup. end up costing me around $200 for comp housing and actuator. KINUGAWA makes these for tons of different types of turbos....
GT2560 would probally be a good pick
is that a TD05H 14B hotside?

also, once I max out this 15G, I plan on using the kinu comp cover and high flow exhaust wheel and an ARD billet 19T compressor wheel (maybe 20T if they have the 20T retrofit wheel done by then) and see how far the greddy platform can go

·
()*#$(*$
11,404 Posts
I prefer Garrett turbos for the smaller stuff. I would highly recommend a T28.

For anything larger than that, I really like the EVO IX turbo with a proper twin scroll manifold. It will spool surprisingly well and have enough headroom for more power while not being overly expensive.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
For anything larger than that, I really like the EVO IX turbo with a proper twin scroll manifold. It will spool surprisingly well and have enough headroom for more power while not being overly expensive.
That setup gets my vote. Fatty powerband.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
With the right 250hp turbo on there, you don't need twin-scroll to help. A 60-trim T3 with a .48ar housing will be perfect if you want brand-name, or any "50trim t3/t4" ebay turbo with a .48ar housing will work. That and an ebay log manifold will be the easiest, but a 14B from a DSM in decent shape will be the bent split between price & reliability.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow! Thanks for all the replies guys! I appreciate you knowledgable guys contributing instead of just bashing me telling me to search.

Is a td04h the same thing as a "t25"? Or am I mistaken?

Is a t28 a bigger version of this turbo?

With the right 250hp turbo on there, you don't need twin-scroll to help. A 60-trim T3 with a .48ar housing will be perfect if you want brand-name, or any "50trim t3/t4" ebay turbo with a .48ar housing will work. That and an ebay log manifold will be the easiest, but a 14B from a DSM in decent shape will be the bent split between price & reliability.
When you say .48ar do you mean the exhaust side or the intake side?

I have a hand me down turbo from a friend of a friend that I believe is a eBay turbo because I see no brand name on it.

It's a t3 flange, marked as .42 on the cold side and .48 on the hot side.

How do I know if it's a 50trim?

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
if you end up going with a knock off turbo rebuild it with good quality parts and get it balanced. my 16G is a knock off but I got it rebuilt with genuine Mitsubishi rebuild kit. with balance and labor I paid $400 to get it rebuilt by a reputable shop....

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
T25 garret turbo came off automatics and the mitsu 14b came off manuals, IIRC...

Not the same but pretty close. The T25 is a little less top end-ish from my experience.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
13b came from the automatics.

The T25 is from the newer 95-99 eclipses

13b/14b is first gen

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
T25 is a fun turbo. good for coming out of turns real fast. I can be in 5th gear at 3,000rpm doing 60mph and it pulls nice. you can really feel the torque, crx weight advantage.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts