Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People that have done runs on both street tires and slicks how did the trap speed compare? Maybe a dumb thread? Just curious.
Post diameter too pleassse.

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
if you can get the streets to hook in 3rd/4th your trap with street tires will be higher than with slicks

its because slicks grip instead of spin.

your ET will be worse with street tires even if the MPH is up.

if you cant get the street tires to hook up in 3rd/4th your trap will just be shit and low because you wont be going anywhere just spinning.

there are a lot of variables.

·
MuthaFuckaUppa
517 Posts
Best 13.9 @ 105 mph on fresh Hankooks RS2 205/45R15.
1st LOL
2nd A little spinning. My local track is pretty good with the traction compound.
3rd was fine.

Slicks would have been a huge help.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
if you can get the streets to hook in 3rd/4th your trap with street tires will be higher than with slicks

its because slicks grip instead of spin.

your ET will be worse with street tires even if the MPH is up.

if you cant get the street tires to hook up in 3rd/4th your trap will just be shit and low because you wont be going anywhere just spinning.

there are a lot of variables.
that depends if you can make it to 3rd or 4th.....wheel hop in 1st and second has been known to eat up and spit out axles on street tires....i cut out all wheel hop with nothing more than a set of slicks

you can launch on slicks you have to leave the line like a granny on street tires or you'll wheel hop

other thsn that danz hit the nail on the head

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Shit 14.0 at 115mpg on shit all seasons, what is traction. On the street it would dead hook, local mom and pop track is shit for traction but you get a lot of runs in.

Same track, same run, had a guy in a 91 hb si with a stright ls swap run a 14.3 at 65mph, he found it funny how we almost ran the same time haha

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I knew it'd trap lower on slicks, just seeing if people had personal experience and would post their numbers.

Best 13.9 @ 105 mph on fresh Hankooks RS2 205/45R15.
1st LOL
2nd A little spinning. My local track is pretty good with the traction compound.
3rd was fine.

Slicks would have been a huge help.
Are those tires suppose to be good? My llantera used mexico tires wouldn't even spin 2nd when i went last weekend.

·
MuthaFuckaUppa
517 Posts
I knew it'd trap lower on slicks, just seeing if people had personal experience and would post their numbers.

Are those tires suppose to be good? My llantera used mexico tires wouldn't even spin 2nd when i went last weekend.
I liked them. I have had BFG g-force sports and hated them. With 212 wheel torque I could spin them a little in second. But to compare, I could smoke my BFGs in second.
They don't make the RS2 any more they now have the RS3, and now only one size in 15"

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Why not start in second if first is uncontrollable and breaks axles. Hard on clutches and a bit more driver skill to not bog it down, but with a ceramic solid hub clutch, why not?

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Lol ^^^^ slicks relieve all The stress. Run up the tire pressure and let then spin a hair. Don't forty drop or side step the clutch. Load it up And let her drop

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Why not start in second if first is uncontrollable and breaks axles. Hard on clutches and a bit more driver skill to not bog it down, but with a ceramic solid hub clutch, why not?
Right now i bog first with 2.28> 60ft. 3k 70%launch (Bought hasport race mounts still hopping first)
Sleepresedan, hmu on the weekends. I'm in AZ too.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
and on slicks i launch at 7k preloading on just simple crome lauch control.....havent got the antilag dialed in yet

on street tire i dont rev or launch it, nicely leave the line like you would from a light then punch it to the floor......loose all traction by 6.5k in second gear and never get it back....well i guess i could if i tossed it to 4thfrom second.....so point of my story is street tires suck balls

·
Registered
984 Posts
Right now i bog first with 2.28> 60ft. 3k 70%launch (Bought hasport race mounts still hopping first)
Sleepresedan, hmu on the weekends. I'm in AZ too.
You need to launch higher if you're pulling 2.2 and bogging. I was doing the same so I started launching it at ~4000 and pulled 4 back to back 2.0's on michelin pilots. b16/stock clutch in a crx.

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
i ran a 14.2 at 110mph at my local dragstrip in fontana. Track was slightly wet and i was running on cheap used 205/50's in the front at 5psi. my 60 foot was 2.5 seconds, first and second and half of third were a total joke. In fact in the last run i didnt even launch i would spin first so bad, i simply let out the clutch like i was going from a stoplight and then did my usual bouncing off the rev limiter scramble in 1st and 2nd.

To be honest ive never run a motor so hard before in my life, i decided i wanted to go balls to the wall and get my best time possible even if i blew the motor. So i grabbed my laptop added a little fuel and advanced the timing about 3 degrees across the boost sections. and then i raised my boost pressure from a measly 8psi to 16psi on a bone stock y8 block with a z6 head. Somehow it made it the entire day of runs and i drove it home (2 hour drive) Then i decided to show off to a buddy, was doing probibally about 120 at 7k rpm's when i melted a piston on cylinder number 4. When i took the motor apart i found that every rod was bent but suprisingly i never knew it lol.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
plane and simple. if you go to the track 1 time with slicks you will never wanna go again without them. so you wont need to worry about trap speed.
personaly to me the trap speed is somewhat of an irrelevant number. the ET is what matters the most. im sure on street tires i could do a 135trap speed but still run a 13 sec 1/4.
you dont go bragging about your trap speeds do ya? heck no

·
Registered
180 Posts
^^couldnt of said it better ppl go to the track to see their times not speed ya its cool to have a high speed but it's super sex for a low ET and with street tires with a high power car you'll be spinnin all day and you kno what they say spinni aint winning slicks means better ET

·
Registered
984 Posts
lol see, I'm kinda the opposite. I gauge everything by trap speeds. If I see a car running 65-70mph (1/8th) then I know the car is slow- spining or not. On the other hand, if I see a car run a mid 9sec pass, 1/8th mile once again, but is trapping nearly 100mph, I've got a pretty good idea what kind of power the car is making and what it'd run if it could hook.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts