Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Help please...

OK, first off, I know that a manual swap is best. But I live in NYC and I need the stop and go luxury when commuting through traffic. However, like most civics, I have no damn torque. It has come to a point where its dangerous because I cant keep up in the merging lanes into the speedy highways/freeways.

My solution is the JRSC supercharger.

My questions are:

1. Is the kit complete? meaning does it come with everything thats needed?

If not what do you guys reccomend, eg: upgraded fuel pump etc. Please keep in mind that I want nothing extreme in terms of over 180 whp.

2. How much can I expect to gain with my automatic tranny? I'm crossing my fingers for 160whp with 6psi.


3. I'm going to be getting the TCI overhaul kit to beefen up my auto.
Is this good?
http://www.powerandperformancenews.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TC&Product_Code=559000&Category_Code=


4.Emissions is also a concern for me. I know that its CARB legal, but with a upgraded exhaust system, like RSR with a cat, Carb approved SRI, etc. will I still be ok?


Thanks so much guys. I know its alot of questions, but I just want to be safe about this. I have searched for many days, but I feel my questions are more specific in terms of auto tranny, etc. :)

edit: D16y8
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
365 Posts
To make 160 whp, and to ensure you'll pass emissions testing, I suggest that you go with another form of engine management other than what Jackson sells with their blower kits. Some DSM 450cc injectors along with some form of engine management software (Crome, Uberdata, Hondata) and a good tune using a wideband by someone with some experience will get you the numbers you're after, and get you through emissions testing without a problem. Oh, and make sure your catalytic converter is in good condition. If your car has a D16Y7 engine, I'd swap to a setup that places the cat under the car, and get a Kamikaze header to go with the blower.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jaker said:
To make 160 whp, and to ensure you'll pass emissions testing, I suggest that you go with another form of engine management other than what Jackson sells with their blower kits. Some DSM 450cc injectors along with some form of engine management software (Crome, Uberdata, Hondata) and a good tune using a wideband by someone with some experience will get you the numbers you're after, and get you through emissions testing without a problem. Oh, and make sure your catalytic converter is in good condition. If your car has a D16Y7 engine, I'd swap to a setup that places the cat under the car, and get a Kamikaze header to go with the blower.
Thanks alot for your quick response. I'll start researching that right away. I also think 160whp = wishful thinking :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
365 Posts
There's no reason you can't make 160 whp if you spin the blower a bit faster, and make good decisions with your parts buying and engine tuning.
 

·
R2.....Zap Balls
Joined
·
5,186 Posts
mine made 154 with the upgraded pulley, walbro fuel pump, 2.25 exhaust, dc 4-2-1 header, jackson short ram intake. I had the jackson fmu and a vafc for fuel management. I think if you did upgaded inj and some sort of fuel managment like crome or something you should be able to make a little more imo.
Edit: Mine is a 5 speed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
822 Posts
Fine tuned, I'm sure 160 wouldn't have been a problem for you vtecduck. Seems like you were going in the right direction.
 

·
R2.....Zap Balls
Joined
·
5,186 Posts
JoelAllenClear said:
Fine tuned, I'm sure 160 wouldn't have been a problem for you vtecduck. Seems like you were going in the right direction.
yeah, I just got tired of the blower and the belt constantly walking on me. Went turbo in Dec, I'm making more power at the same boost level and is alot more fun to drive :D
 

·
sub-sponsor
Joined
·
5,175 Posts
if you need it on the go just add some spray cheaper and power when you need it plus it wont eat up gas just my .02
 

·
sub-sponsor
Joined
·
5,175 Posts
Jaker said:
Properly tuned, a blower motor will get better gas mileage than an NA motor, except for when your "on" it.
stock motor w/ nitrous will get better gas millage then the supercharged motor will. think about it 35+mpg all the time power when he needs it vs in boost constently going through more gas its going to cost him more money for the tune and the other shit

2800+

vs

about 500 bucks and better gas millage
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
365 Posts
NEP-tuningalltheway said:
in boost constently going through more gas
Common misconception. Blowers have a bypass valve so when you're at high vacuum, low throttle settings, there is no boost, and the blower is just along for the ride, drawing 1, maybe 2 hp off the crank. However, dip lightly into the throttle, and you'll get a minimal amount of boost as the bypass valve closes slightly, and you'll get more power with a smaller throttle opening, leading to the potential for more power with less fuel comsumption. Think about this: you're coming up on a hill and start to dip into the throttle to maintain your speed. You're in 5th gear, and the car starts to slow. You press harder on the throttle till its on the floorboards. Now you're maintaining your speed, or still slowing down, so you downshift. How much gas do you think you're using?

Now come up on that same hill with the blower motor. As you reach the bottom of the hill, you've pressed down a bit harder on the gas, but you're still not boosting on your boost gauge (still in vacuum), but the bypass valve has started closing, and the blower is actually working some, but because the gas pedal is only at about 30-40% and the boost/vacuum gauge still shows you in vacuum, you're still running off the O2 sensor, and saving fuel and the environment. You're definitely making more power than you were in the NA car at full throttle because the blower is starting to move some air for you, and you're not relying solely on the pistons sucking the air charge into the motor. I can't really explain it any better than that, but I know it works that way. I've been running this way for 2 years now. I've seen it. I've gotten better fuel economy since I started boosting with the Roots blowers.

The key is to be sure you're part throttle tune is in the correct range so that the O2 sensor/ECU (closed loop operation) can do its job effectively.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you guys so much for helping me out. I really appreciate it.

I have found a used JRSC for 1000 cash(low ball 950). But, the guy said he doesnt know if its for sohc. He told me it was on his del sol vtec for 1 month. But there were both the dohc and sohc del sols. So I'm not too sure if its the right one. I'm going to try to find out.

Also, What should I look for when buying it used? Can I upload the pics and you guys help me out?

Thanks so much fellas,
Danny

EDIT: He's local to me, is there anybody near NYC that can come with me to check it out? Lunch/dinner will be on me!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
I'll make a road trip, and possibly help you install. j/k
del sols came sohc and dohc it should be easy for him to look at his valve cover and see if he has 2 cams. Price is good, sc are tough to tell if they are bad. basically spin the pully and listen for grinding noises.
And for the gas mileage comment, I went from 30 to 35 mpg on my integra when I went sc. Sometimes as high as 40, all depends on my driving. I have also seen as low as 25 mpg if I drive like an ass. But its a tough comparison because I am running higher octane now also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yellowrexsi said:
I'll make a road trip, and possibly help you install. j/k
del sols came sohc and dohc it should be easy for him to look at his valve cover and see if he has 2 cams. Price is good, sc are tough to tell if they are bad. basically spin the pully and listen for grinding noises.
And for the gas mileage comment, I went from 30 to 35 mpg on my integra when I went sc. Sometimes as high as 40, all depends on my driving. I have also seen as low as 25 mpg if I drive like an ass. But its a tough comparison because I am running higher octane now also.

Hey Yellowrexsi, where are you located?

It would be awesome if you could really make it though, not for the install of course, but just to chill.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
I'm way upstate, about 5 hours from you, canada is closer to me than you.
Either way, I would be down for an install, but it would have to be up here
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yellowrexsi said:
I'm way upstate, about 5 hours from you, canada is closer to me than you.
Either way, I would be down for an install, but it would have to be up here

Whats funny is I was up there last week. I went to Niagara Falls for the long weekend. :)

Thanks anways man.

I'll have to attach pictures tonight of the S/C as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OUCH!

I just found out it was on a dohc. Looks like I'm going to buy a new one :(. I just want perfect fitment. Anyhoo, new should be alot better
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top