Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Alright so this issue has me stumped,

1996 civic EK, swapped to a 99 y7 / S40 Trans ( was factory Auto LX) When i bought the car, no trans leaks. So i did what i always did. oil change and trans fluid exchange. Ordered the Honda MTF on ebay. Drained the 2 quarts out, replaced with new MTF. After I had a constant drip, which i though to be leaking from the honda bond. before the fluid exchange, no leak, no evidence of leak. Long story short, i felt like i may have overfilled the transmission. Fluid was coming out the filler plug, when i put the 1st round of MTF in. When driving, it took some effort to shift. no grind, but you had to throw her in gear. So i removed MTF and drained for an hour. I replaced with Pen. oil Gear oil " non synthetic" 80w 90 weight oil. i only installed 1.75 quarts. to my surprise, it shifted MUCH better. No grinding, excellent downshifts, extremely smooth. How could this oil perform better " driving wising" then honda MTF? Heres the best part... NO LEAK. Nothing! Did i accidentally overfill the 1st time around? Any ones feed back is greatly appreciated.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,477 Posts
because Honda mtf is too thin and if you would have read the manual, it says to use regular old oil.......NEVER use gear oil, but whatevs. fuck a search.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
get that gear lube OUT

1 quart of synchromesh mixed with any off the shelf 10w-30 motor oil. I for some reason prefer mobil5000

the mix above is not a recommendation or set in stone, but merely what I have used with good success

·
Certified O.G.
A Shitbox
5,605 Posts
Get that gear oil out if you enjoy having a car to drive.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,461 Posts
gear oil is too thick and will burn the bearings up.

Current Honda MTF is NOT recommended for your transmission.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To Mr. "fuck a search" I did alot of searching. In the civic forums, there was no clear cut answer. Some long track members said to only run honda MTF, thats it. I was very specific on the transmission type. Just removed the gear oil, and im replacing it with 10w-30 for now. Thanks for your quick reply guys.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,477 Posts
meh. red dot is enough work for today.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts