Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the proper position in which to store the crank? Is it ok to have it laying flat for extended periods of time or should I store it in a vertical position? I don't want it to warp from storage. Or am I being paranoid :3dtard:

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well shit! I have it horizontal going to repack it tomorrow it's been like this for about 6 months. Might still be ok though.

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That crank looks like sex!

·
Registered
a car
1,461 Posts
yeah should be ok. as long as it doesnt have heavy items or constant heat on it then you should be fine. but yes store it vertically in a storage bag from an auto parts store. they are usually free. also you may want to put a thin coat of oil all over the crank to void off rust. has worked for years for me

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's been stored in it's own box without anything in it but I will rewrap it and put it in a vertical box until my new build begins.

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
I normally spray it with WD40 and put it in a trash bag, then leave it standing as in the picture above.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts
proper storage = IN A MOTOR!

Hang it from a noose or sit it in a corner upright, one thing Honda stock cranks have never been an issue.

·
Registered
1992 Civic Si
1,671 Posts
From a noose? rofl

I wouldn't trust a good crank to a rope, unless I had a beanbag chair to catch it if it fell.

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
I thought about that. What about laying the crank in a girdle? Think that would be a good idea?

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
I have heard this argument over and over.

I have used cranks that where left layin on a shelf for years. I never found one that was bent as a result.

I have seen cranks stood on their end that have been knocked and fell over and bent or got nicked or dented.

Every new crank I ever bought came laying flat in a box.

The vast majority of cranks in running engines are stored horizontally, except some outboard boat engines.

Just think about the effect of gravity on a crank vs impacts from the cylinder firing

·
Formerly 95RedVXCivic
95 VX, 88 S/C MR2
862 Posts
it doesn't matter which way you store it as long as it is safe from the elements, and from things falling on it or it falling off.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Just think about the effect of gravity on a crank vs impacts from the cylinder firing
excellent point :bigok: listen to this man... he speaks from logic :yes:

Hang it from a noose...
It's statements such as this that should warn people don't piss this man off... lmfao

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's in a box in the shed and that's insulated so its in less extreme elements than the motor. I like the girdle idea.

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
If a thick steel crank can bend from gravity, what keeps a thinner aluminium girdle from bending under the same load.

I agree if the crank and girdle are in a block, it is the safest place to store it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts