Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Pew Pew!
EJ6
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how or what would you guys recommend to do to store a freshly built motor away?

I have a freshly built block and also in the process of finishing up a head but once thats done, i am in need of putting it away for almost a year because im in the process of buying my first home, so the time and effort are needed there.

Thanks
- Sammo

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
coat the insides with plenty of oil and then use some kind of shrink wrap to seal it up then wrap it in a trash bag and tape that up to completly seal out any moisture. is the oil pan off? if so then spray oil into the bottom of the crank and cylinder walls the wrap it up. the assembly lube should stay in place the entire time. this will keep it fresh. no need to turn the crank if its sealed properly

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
no need to turn the crank if its sealed properly
If the engine has new valve springs it is in your best interest to turn the engine over 1/4 turn at the crank once a month.

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts

·
Registered
99 Hatch
1,348 Posts
If you built it with assembly lube then just wrap it up and store it. If you used engine oil then it should not be left sitting for to long before being started.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
WD-40 the outside as good as possible and cover in a trash bag or something large. I used an old Discount Tire bag! LOL

·
Pew Pew!
EJ6
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Damn it. There is a light coating of oil already inside and yes the oil pan is still on there and yes it was built with assembly lube.

Its been on the stand in my garage for about 2 months now.../facepalm. Ive just been super busy trying to buy a house that I forgot about the block.

Im gonna try to turn it over by hand to see if things are still okay.

Question in advance
What if I go and try to turn the block by hand thru the crank and it wont turn? Do I just turn the block upside and take off the oil pan and add a little oil? or would I be in deep shit?

·
Registered
99 Hatch
1,348 Posts
It's not a big deal, I've built engines and let them sit for quite some time. Wrap it up in a garbege bag and call it a day.

·
Registered
97 civic lx
967 Posts
Go buy some really cheap plastic wrap that you would wrap up food with. Wrap the whole thing in it after you lube everything up. Pull it tight and wrap it until there's none left. Thats what we do at the shop when were shipping engines out.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Damn it. There is a light coating of oil already inside and yes the oil pan is still on there and yes it was built with assembly lube.

Its been on the stand in my garage for about 2 months now.../facepalm. Ive just been super busy trying to buy a house that I forgot about the block.

Im gonna try to turn it over by hand to see if things are still okay.

Question in advance
What if I go and try to turn the block by hand thru the crank and it wont turn? Do I just turn the block upside and take off the oil pan and add a little oil? or would I be in deep shit?
It'll turn. Use a ratchet. Remember only go 1/4 turn each time to keep the springs in different positions.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I had my old d16z6 with pretty much everything new except the head and block casting, crankshaft, and left it in my shed wrapped loosely with a trash bag for a year and started right up the first time with no issues.

·
I also have a cool title
3,124 Posts
What you do Sammo is bring it to my house and let me store it in a shell and drive it around to make sure its fresh. :D

·
Pew Pew!
EJ6
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
It'll turn. Use a ratchet. Remember only go 1/4 turn each time to keep the springs in different positions.
You sure about that? Because I tried to turn it with a ratchet. It wont turn. LOL. Im thinking of using a breaker bar but I dont want to damage anything.( It turned before I started getting busy and leaving it there on the stand)

Any advice towards that? Want pictures? I can get pictures.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
You sure about that? Because I tried to turn it with a ratchet. It wont turn. LOL. Im thinking of using a breaker bar but I dont want to damage anything.( It turned before I started getting busy and leaving it there on the stand)

Any advice towards that? Want pictures? I can get pictures.
That's not good.

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
you know i was wonder this same thing the other day. i'm glad someone made a thread. great info to know.

·
1.8 nawz powa
6,579 Posts
Sammo, the motor would get "stuck" when I had it, I just made sure to turn it over a few times every couple weeks or so while leaving it at random positions, not just TDC. I would also keep oil on the walls to prevent rust, once you get it to break loose, just oil the walls up again before you wrap it.

·
Pew Pew!
EJ6
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sammo, the motor would get "stuck" when I had it, I just made sure to turn it over a few times every couple weeks or so while leaving it at random positions, not just TDC. I would also keep oil on the walls to prevent rust, once you get it to break loose, just oil the walls up again before you wrap it.
Word. :bigok: But im just scared to " break it loose " LMAO.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts