Honda D Series Forum banner

stock y7 turbo setup ?

6K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  Belette 
#1 ·
How many boost can handle stock stock y7 a daily driving car with custom home made turbo without troubles, and lot of tuning ?

I want to know what is the EASIEST setup and know too was is missing in my materials now. Not wire please, and I can stop my car by myself after 1-2 minutes...

already have:

- Custom manifold
- Small dodge turbo
- Pressure gauge
- BoV
- FPR (I don't know too which injector too put with light pressure turbo ?)
- Small Intercooler
- Piping

I don't have much money too spend, I dont want to change all internal of engine, only light pressure boost for daily driving like 5-6psi.

Thanx a lot guys :)

G
#2 ·
you need oil lines for the turbo, piping for the turbo too. you don't need an intercooler or bov for 5-6psi. if you go over that, then you WILL need both of those. you shoudl also consider at least a catback exhaust system but perferable a full exhaust replacement to 2.5"

Stock injectors with a raising rate are good to 6psi. so your ok with stockers. you will need a safc to have it tuned properly on a dyno.

#3 ·
I already got BOV/intercooler by the way !! I don't put it in trash tray !
It's not a list of things to purchase, but that already in my garage !
LOL

Well,

- How engine can gain with this very small setup with y8 mani, ported TB/matched with intake, 2.5 exhaust system @ 6psi ?

- Does difference of power between 5psi VS 8psi will be significative ? hurt engine more with these boost ? need a lot of tuning with 8psi ?

thanx

G
#4 ·
the engine can take up to 10-12psi.

to go above 6psi, you need some type of fuel management. Honestly, you should really look into a hondata. that would allow you to go to 12psi and put down 220 wheel power safley on your engine.

#6 ·
Sure !! I already got too an oil cooler and line :)

- How much may cost hondata ? how it looks ? Easy to install ? I don't want to pay another guys to tune my car, I want the most as possible do it by miself, guys who tune car here are VERYYYY expensive... I dislike a lot to play with wires and car eletronical... but it if easy... maybe i'll go for that.

- How many WHP can I obtain with 6 psi with y7 that have some bolt on ?

- If going to 9-10 psi instead of 6psi, If it will cost to me 3x more, I'll stay with 6psi setup !

- Does cooler range plugs are needed with light pressure turbo ? I have 4 NGK Iridium...

Thanx a lot again !

#7 ·
oscarmayer said:
the engine can take up to 10-12psi.

to go above 6psi, you need some type of fuel management. Honestly, you should really look into a hondata. that would allow you to go to 12psi and put down 220 wheel power safley on your engine.
Why some people said about y7 connecting rod/piston can handle about 170-180 whp at the top ? Does turbo is safer for stock engine than all-motor with higher compression level (cam/head work/intake/and more) with stock internal ?

What is the first problem that may happen when turbo setup with stock internal go bad ? piston ring ? head gasket ? over heating ? I want to know what I need check more...

Thanx a lot

:)

#8 ·
the biggest problem is detonation this causes bent rods blown headgaskets and broken ringlands

i think the stock rods can handle well over 200whp its the detonation you have to worry about this is the cause of basically all internal problems.

eleminate detonation

#9 ·
Thanx a lot !

Detonation is caused sometimes by overheating, wrong timing, too high compression for environent setup, too much boost boost, wrong octane level gaz... I'm right ?

:)

G
#11 ·
actually with a turbo on stock internals, if fueling is not properly setup and tuned, you'll breal the top ring lands onthe pistons if the first thing to go, if you don;t let off there, then you'll do moe damage and throw a rod throught he block due to piston breaking and hitting head and it interfeiring with rod travel.

G
#13 ·
Belette said:
I'll put Vortech FMU with FPR, some guys told me is enough to handle low boost... :)

thanx
fmu's are good to 10-12psi max, so if your only doing like 6-7 your fine. Try a 8:1 and not a 10 or 12:1. using stock injectors your not going to get much more even with an aftermarket pump. they just can't handle the flows. so why overstress the system more than you already are going too.

#14 ·
Does 240 injector is enough to run with FMU and FPR ? i dont want to run SMC or any other thing like that ! simplier than possible !

or I need 370cc or something like that ?

thanx

#16 ·
How is the best PSI range to use with FMU ?

which injector must I use ?

I want to know each thing to know about FMU !

thanx

G
#17 ·
csaddict said:
FMU's are not good for 10-12psi. They can barely work well at 6psi.
your incorrect, fmu's are adjustalbe either by screws in a JR case, or the one I perfer is the vortech where you change the inside to suit your needs. you can adjsut then from 1:1 to 12:1. the higher boost you go, the lower you drop the ratio. at 12 psi you should be about at 4:1 max.

on 6psi and stock injectors your fine. set your fuel pressure to liek 44psi, and then get a 8:1 fmu. you should be fine then.

#19 ·
?

There is so many different coments about FMU !!...

Does It need new fuel pump with 12:1 FMU ?

thanx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.