Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
93 maybe 94 coupe
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone doing this? Lots of swapped Hondas have the automatic radiator (mine is simply auto manual swapped) like my stock one. I'm thinking of doing some pre turbo oiling prep by adding an aux cooler via sammich plate then running it to the stock radiator tranny cooler to cool/condition the oil so it warms up quicker and doesn't get overcooled.

It'll be easy to get oil to my turbo after I do this and seems like the kind of longevity mods I like to do to any vehicle I have but I can't really find anyone doing this via search.

Thoughts? Already doing it cuz its such an obvious mod? Bad idea?

Let's discuss.

·
Registered
93 maybe 94 coupe
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Dude. Everytime I search I end up commenting on a dead thread from like 15 years ago that's a top Google search result or i come up with totally irrelevant results. I fail at the internet it seems...repeatedly.

This instance I'm coming up w poor results w my search terms but will continue. Not much else I can do w a baby sleeping on me

Edit: lmao I tried the most literal basic search possible and actually got zero results which....is impossible. Those terms are mentioned a zillion times.

Attachments

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,832 Posts
I wouldn't run it through the stock tranny cooler, it is low capacity and the increased temp the turbo will cause in water temps will heatsoak into that tranny cooler and in turn increase oil temps. I would suggest an aftermarket cooler, you can go to a junkyard if $$ is an issue and grab an old external tranny cooler, alot of tow equipped FWD suvs and such have them.

·
Registered
93 maybe 94 coupe
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If optimal temp for oil is 230-250 degrees I see no problem, if my coolant at the bottom of the tank is 230 degrees already that's a problem in itself.

I'm proposing an aux cooler to mad cool the oil, then the in rad unit just to make sure it's not overcooling when it's 5am and cold, and I gotta hit the highway

It's not that $ is an issue, I just overcooled an automatic tranny once and learned that while heat is an enemy, u need SOME in ur lubes and u can go too far

·
Registered
93 maybe 94 coupe
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found a post http://www.d-series.org/forums/general-tech/92833-c-radiator-into-oil-cooler.html that says not to use ac condenser as cooler, which is full of bad info. Who says u gotta run ALL THE OIL through the cooler before the engine gets it? Chumps run limited flow through huge ac condenser coolers all day (literally)

A piss flow of really cooled oil back into the pan is still achieved

See this is what happens when I search. Arguments relevant to 2008

·
Registered
93 maybe 94 coupe
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Domestic auto transmissions run pressures in excess of 100 psi, 30-50 at idle. Or is that just internally my understanding of auto trannys is lacking but I've heard that oil is the second least under pressure fluid in the car w true hydraulic systems running at far higher pressures.

If this is the case and those pressures are system wide 60-80 psi should be safe, my worry would be under failure the hoses for cooling would be coated in oil but with a new radiator that would be minimal risk. (And no worse than if it ruptured atf)

If I am inaccurate please correct me, even if you decide to let me have it for being dumb. Better bawled out than ignorant!

It won't be a turbo car for quite some time yet though. Working on the y8/y7 notec hybrid head this winter, w luck iddy biddy turbo will be next summer project but probably next winter.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Spend $30 on an autozone oil cooler and be done with it

no need for frankenstein shit when the proper equipment is so cheap

EDIT you can do the oil cooler now, no need to wait for turbo, as the D series motors love having cooler oil temps

·
Registered
93 maybe 94 coupe
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nothing LOVES too cool of oil though, if u never get hot enough to steam off water it turns to acid and can damage bearings and eat aluminum. Plus water and oil together suck at lubricating. Aftermarket hot rod radiators routinely have a generic cooler built in, with mention of engine oil as an acceptable use.

Can anyone confirm the line pressure at the cooler on a civic? Or hold on, my next spat of googling will be for that spec

·
Registered
93 maybe 94 coupe
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok pops says that line pressure in an auto is diverted via a % to the TC and it sees 45 psi max of its total line pressure.

So not sounding so good

Google again failed

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
you are over thinking it.

you will never over cool the oil unless you truly set out to do so.

buy the cheap cooler. dont rig shit up.

I have no idea where 45psi came from. I guarantee my automatic is throwing more than that through my oem tranny cooler on the bottom of the radaitor

·
Registered
93 maybe 94 coupe
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
He says that line pressure is like pump pressure and that only a portion of pressure goes to the cooler circuit and that it's more high volume than high pressure. So if u cut a line it bleeds fast from the volume, but not like a squirt gun (high pressure)

He is however getting old, and I know no better

I'll probably just end up getting a different radiator cuz it bugs me to just have unused stuff just taking up space. At least a correct radiator won't have the visibly unused fittings hanging out doing nothing

I tend to think too much, I'm ADHD and the rapid fire thoughts going through my head are enough to dizzy most ppl

Kinda why I like working on cars

·
Registered
93 maybe 94 coupe
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nahhhh talked to chumper will and he says go for it, and referred me to a 20 page debate over valuation of this mod for the 2016 rules being that if you order a manual rad for many models from chumpcars preferred part source they come w the cooler anyway.

It's the OEM replacement from their preferred source, must mean it's a zero dollar mod. No. Pages debating this, no debate of whether its a good mod. You lose the cooling capacity in any case so there's lots to this debate.

Some aren't doing it because they can't afford any more heat being introduced to the cooling system. Others are running that rad w the circuit plugged because it's valued too high by some techs. Where techs value it as OEM style rad swap (a 5$ hit) ppl run it and love it.

Some ppl run an external pump and cool the diff, paying only for the pump in terms of total competition value. There's some discussion over if this can be used for PS with an external pump as well

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,832 Posts
Nahhhh talked to chumper will and he says go for it, and referred me to a 20 page debate over valuation of this mod for the 2016 rules being that if you order a manual rad for many models from chumpcars preferred part source they come w the cooler anyway.

It's the OEM replacement from their preferred source, must mean it's a zero dollar mod. No. Pages debating this, no debate of whether its a good mod. You lose the cooling capacity in any case so there's lots to this debate.

Some aren't doing it because they can't afford any more heat being introduced to the cooling system. Others are running that rad w the circuit plugged because it's valued too high by some techs. Where techs value it as OEM style rad swap (a 5$ hit) ppl run it and love it.

Some ppl run an external pump and cool the diff, paying only for the pump in terms of total competition value. There's some discussion over if this can be used for PS with an external pump as well

·
Registered
93 maybe 94 coupe
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Word.

Chumps will debate anything, even the value of mods that will blow u up... guess I see a competitive advantage into making others think it works haha. Kaboom! Now ur 2 hours down swapping motors

I'm definitely gonna try to find a legit rad w no cooler

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
I have to go into serious mode. Hold tightly to your man card.

why in the absolute FUCK do you care about an ATF cooler hanging out unused so much that you want to WASTE money replacing the radiator?

if they bother you so goddamn much, run your power steering to it if you have it equipped.

/deactivate serious mode

1 - 20 of 36 Posts