Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question is are any of yall using stock springs and retainers with the delta 272-2 cam? Im on a y8 head. Im goin to be ordering a cam in the next couple weeks and just seeing what setups everyones running.

Car pulls great right now on 20psi...... Ive tuned it myself on the street... a/fs are 11.2-11.5 throughout power band... running 17degrees timing

My setup is this

RamHorn Manifold
Holset hy35
3'' dp
RC750s
Tial wg
Hondata s300
Srp Pistons
Eagle H beams
Hondata 4bar map
Greddy BOV
Stock intake manifold and stock throttle body

·
Registered
176 Posts
If you are planning on going to 8k very often i would recommend getting some aftermarket springs(supertech or somthing), stock redline is 7200 i think, but i wouldnt spend the money on new retainers.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Eagle/ vitara, hx35, 22psi, and 272-2 cam here.....I'm reving to 8500 currently on stock retainers but crower springs...... If you plan to rev anything over stock toss in springs

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no signs of detonation that i can see man... i guess for good measure ill go ahead and throw in some springs.... thanks for the help guys! this forum has helped me alot with this setup... ive always been a h or k series guy allmotor... but some ppl here in town was talking shit about hondas so i figured id build a baby motor for pretty cheap to beat some ass...

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
What I've heard over and over again is that if you are upgrading to a cam of this nature you should upgrade the springs because stockers were not designed for such rapid and extreme ramp rates. And If you are going too much over redline get some retainers. I was told this be the owner of Delta cams, he's a really nice dude, call him up and talk about your setup and he might have some helpful insight or even some info.

I'll be running a Z6 272-2 with crower springs and probably stock retainers.

·
凸(◕_◕)凸
1,669 Posts
I recently made a similar thread, as I was considering running my 272-2 with the stock springs being that I'm a fucking cheap bastard.. :bandito: >Stock springs+aftermarket cam< Some guy mentioned doubling up the exh side IIRC. IDK, honestly I'm still considering. Iknow, springs are cheap.. but so am I!!:ph34r:

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
for peace of mind spending another $125 on springs is well worth it.
and you can rev it alot more safely if needed

·
&#20984;(&#9685;_&#9685;)&#20984;
1,669 Posts
for peace of mind spending another $125 on springs is well worth it.
and you can rev it alot more safely if needed
Very true. What spring do you reccomend in that price range? And thats running stock retainers right

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
It depends on where your power band is, but as long as you stay under stock redline there is no need to upgrade
This is not true. The upgraded springs are because the cam has more lift.. the factory spring MAY bind at full lift. Also at WOT at high RPM you are subject to valve float. Springs should be upgraded IMO.

I run Supertech.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Very true. What spring do you reccomend in that price range? And thats running stock retainers right
you can never go wrong with supertechs.
and yes you can run stock retainer.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Like I said....I run a hx35.....you want/ need hose extra rpms to open up your powerband......5500-7200rpms didn't seem like enough....and in reality is not.....letting my motor wind out makes a huge difference in the way the car feels/pulls

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
What I've heard over and over again is that if you are upgrading to a cam of this nature you should upgrade the springs because stockers were not designed for such rapid and extreme ramp rates. And If you are going too much over redline get some retainers. I was told this be the owner of Delta cams, he's a really nice dude, call him up and talk about your setup and he might have some helpful insight or even some info.

I'll be running a Z6 272-2 with crower springs and probably stock retainers.
^^ This.

When running a more agressive cam, the valve spring rate has a lot more to do with the ramp rate, lift, duration of the new cam. The factory spings just weren't made to handle that. RPM is just one factor in the whole equation.
Honestly, after building v8s for so long, I couldn't believe how soft these Honda springs are. Even the aftermarket ones feel soft to me.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts