Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as above but within safety range im currently running a small 194ft/lbs in a d16zc/y8 stock build..

this build has lasted non vtec with no issues well over a year and gotten some good driving with the torque value above

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
thats about right. i generally see max of about 200-220wtq, depending on RPM. although ive seen them live past it and have never broken one myself. just a piston or three. oh well, shit happens on the stock block.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Its not all about torque. Torque, better described as mean effective pressure, creates compression load on the rod during the compression and power stroke. With enough pressure, the rod will bend and break, but thats not the whole story.
RPMs are going to add additional stress on the rod. This is why you can break a rod on an NA D if you rev it high enough, even with adequate oiling.

For this reason, Power is a pretty decent benchmark of breaking rods. Its taking into account how much torque is being made and at what RPM.

·
Registered
457 Posts
tq gets you moving, Hp keeps you moving, always what i was told.
hp is how fast you will go, torque is how fast you will get there...

sloopy.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
graph as requested

[/IMG]

i made a typo she has 190ft/lbs.....this graph is without y8 head....i know by adding y8 head i can increase bhp but i am gonna hold peak torque as is

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
I think of one of Hardy's early incarnations of the Snot Rocket motor...pretty sure he had it on the dyno AS the rods were slowly assuming an S shape.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
td04h-15g at 0.6 bar....very nice and smooth to drive...im aiming for a healthy 230bhp with same torque rating and to have a reliable car for everyday driving and occasional foot to the floor

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
thats exactly what i figured it would look like, figured peak would be 5k. nice!

since most motors dont start a rippin till 5252 my torque numbers were assuming that, i have made even more torque at higher RPMs and had no issue.

i dont see peak torque on our 280whp sohc till 5800-5900, which is 230wtq

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
remember, some people spray nitrous as low as 3500. ive seen 200wtq at 4k.

those rods arent that strong but the stuff ive seen them do. unless the car is full interior and not gutted. we get 12s out of ours stock block.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
remember, some people spray nitrous as low as 3500. ive seen 200wtq at 4k.

those rods arent that strong but the stuff ive seen them do. unless the car is full interior and not gutted. we get 12s out of ours stock block.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
hahaha, i was just gonna say, that torque hump looks like some amazing pulling torque at even 2500, its cool people know what to look for around here..

gotta say, i love the d series community.

my last d15 did 180wtq at 5.2, i threw on a holset HX35 and it made 200WTQ at 5800 which was amazing. you can push her harder ;) she likes it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts