Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Researching and going to be doing alot of calculations to find out a really good size of turbo for my next engine, and want to know if anyone happens to know the Volumetric efficiency for a stock port, stock valve D16A6 head.

I searched until 20 after 1 in the morning yesterday and although I did learn quite a lot, I didn't learn what I really wanted to know.

Anyone have any insight?

Thanks in advance.

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
first thing in google i got is 81.01%

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
VE varies with engine speed, and like danz said, it is affected by many, many variables. However, if you want a basic idea, a graph of VE vs. engine speed is very close to the engine's torque curve.
if you had to pick an average is it low like 81% as per 1.5's google search

or a number higher like I had originally guessed and danz said like 90-95?

FWIW it would be a z6 IM, ideally w/ b-series tb.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was reading up on a formula to size up a turbo to almost be able to reverse analyze a compressor map.

I'm new to all this turbo stuff so i'm not sure if i'm overcomplicating things. I jsut want a really well put together turbo system with great responsiveness as well as decent power output.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Cool. Can you post the formula?

Assuming you're looking for VE in the stock usable powerband, I think 90% is a fair assumption.

If only our cars used MAF sensors, VE would be easy to calculate. Unless somebody wants to install one and do some datalogging...

·
Banned
1,137 Posts
hahaha. not making fun or calling you a liar transzex, but i don't see that being possible to have over 100% efficiency. Could you elaborate more if you are being serious?

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
VE is a measure of the volume of the inducted air/fuel over the total volume of the cylinder (when the piston is at BDC). Since air is compressible, it is possible to "force" more air/fuel into the cylinder than it can normally hold. Supercharging can accomplish this, but so can a well-designed atmo engine working on the inertial ram concept.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hahaha. not making fun or calling you a liar transzex, but i don't see that being possible to have over 100% efficiency. Could you elaborate more if you are being serious?

typicall 4 valve heads run in the range of 90-95% VE bone stock, i don't see whats so hard to belive.... with some massaging and port/bowl and valve seat work at least. :poke:

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Danz is right, with properly tuned harmonics the force of the air being pulled down the runner and then told to stop by the valve closing still has its momentum (almost like boost) running towards the valve opening. almost anticipating the valve opening like people at a boxing day sale.

·
Registered
'91 CRX Si
2,158 Posts
High Performance Honda Builders Handbook...it may be old, but it has excellent fundamentals...
I thought everybody read that...

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think i've seen that book for sale at autovalue parts stores. Its the only reason I never really took it seriously. I assumed it would just say crap about adding autozone no-name mufflers.

I am HORRIBLE for judging things too soon. Its the reason I never stuck with the dirty D in the first place and have a blown b16 in my shed right now. Oh well, live and learn.

But I just looked and amazon still has them new, which means i should be able to go grab one this week.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts