Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to boost my d16y7, I want to beef up the internals (forged rods, forged low-compression pistons, sleeves, maybe block guard, and some head work). But my question is, can I get more power out of low-comp. pistons and more boost (is worth the money?), or should I just leave the stock pistons and run less boost? please leave your input and if anyone knows of a good reliable compression calc. plz post the url. Thanx!

·
Registered
Del sol
1,453 Posts
yea you can get more power with forged internals, but with stock interals you can only go so far, making it forged gives you the ability to push it that much further
low compresion = good
but for around 200 hp stock internals are good for daily driving if thats your goal
but if your pushing for around 200+ then youll need forged internals plus extra stuff worked into the equation to make it work well for daily driving
but for compression its usauly wat you add and subtract off what you stock compression was compared to what you purchased

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My main goal is to run in the the low 13s or high 12s, Unless I find a beater car it will be daily driven. My friend has a dsm that runs a 13.6 and I want to shut him up (he claims d-series has no potential, but he'll be in for a surprise). I am planning on boosting it, prolly a T25 or T28. I want to swap out the tranny (I've read that y8 trannys are stronger than the y7s). Also I was wondering if I would have to get my ecu chipped or would I be better off just getting an afc?

·
Registered
73 Posts
As stated above, your intended goals will help in the ultimate determination.

Some things to consider:

Keeping stockish compression ratio will allow faster spool-up. It may limit ultimate boost, but it's output will be less peaky.

Lowering the compression will allow you to push boost upward farther than you ultimately could at higher compression, but it will take more time to get into boost.

I've seen sucess with either route. Good luck.

·
Registered
73 Posts
You must have posted right before me -

Chipped is the best way, but make sure it's tuned for your particular combination: read, don't just get a chip but take it to a dyno and get it tuned.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I figured chipped is the best way to go, but my background with ecu work is poor. And AFC's are easier to work it seems. What exactly are the cons to AFC's?

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
your stock internals will get you into the low 13's and even high 12's. as stated the tune is what is going to make the difference. you do need to change that crappy Y7 intake for a Y8 to make better performance.

the turbo kit is also going to be a factor. one advantage is if you get the newer Greddy kit it has a nice piggyback that will support your power goals and is tunable. all you have to get extra is the fmic and bov and piping done for the fmic added. it's new, works and is proven to handle about 300 or so wheel pwoer (newer 19g kit that is). so it's well worth the investiment in opinion.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll have to check that out. thanx for all the input, But I still have to do some researching for the next 4 months or so, thanx again!

·
Registered
73 Posts
As far as the sfc is concerned, it makes timing changes when you make fueling changes. There's no way to seperate that function out of the unit. With the chipped ECU and something like uberdata and others or a stand alone EMS is that you get control of both these functions independently.

Good luck on your research -

·
the MAD scientist
2,574 Posts
If you are really serious into getting into the low 13's you might want to look into getting an LSD. Also the y8 tranny will help. I dont think its stronger than the y7 but the gears are shorter.

·
Registered
73 Posts
^ What he said.

And get a Y8 intake manifold pronto. The Y7 is teh suck for performance. Deffinately will help you on your way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts