Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Honda Del Sol ESI
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I was wondering, could i install a stage 2 or stage 3 camshaft on my Stock D16Y8, i can imagine upgrading the valve train is always recommended but will the lower block hold the extra performance i have 180k Kilometers on the dash, is this doable ? or should i wait for my full engine build ?

Any recommendations ? tune ?

Thanks already!

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Nothing you do to the valvetrain or camshaft will "out power" the block.

They hold 200whp with a turbo and a good tune just fine.

That said, a camshaft upgrade wont do a hole heck of a lot until you increase the engine compression.

You WILL be able to get some noticeable power, and perhaps a bit better hgih RPM performance with a cam upgrade, but higher compression is usually the key to success when doing all motor, even when mild.

When tuning, just keep the RPMs under 8k until you cleanup the oil pump pathways

·
Registered
Honda Del Sol ESI
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply guys, Anyways

I'am looking for a way to slightly increase HP (for now)

I thought this would fall under the N/A but i will explain the future of this car.

I have a D16Y8 and have some light mods.

- Long intake manifold (behind bumper)
- Straight pipe ( No Cat, No mid muffler)

Things that in my vision will increase HP Slightly would be

- Cam upgrade (mid to high RPM)
- lighter flywheel
- Bigger throttle body 70mm
ect, ect,

I Won't increase the compression because i will be boosting this engine with 15 psi on a build engine, Shooting for 400HP over here.

So i was looking for stuff to do what will increase HP and benefit the future car.
But i can imagine that everything there is, is already called or u have more stuff in mind ?

I don't know if setting the timing different will increase Much hp, i think it only would make the car less save to drive + it's quite hard to get the right timing before the knocking starts.

I think the car would already be way faster with a

- Cam upgrade (mid to high RPM)
- lighter flywheel
- Bigger throttle body 70mm

and a good tune! Would u guys still think after these upgrades the car would hold up ?

Anyways thanks for the help already :)

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,936 Posts
I wouldn’t install a cam without springs but that’s just me. You’ll also want to make sure to tune for the cam...that’ll be a major factor in how the engine responds.

I’d forego the flywheel and the TB and focus on springs and the tune.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Pound for pound, a straight out engine tune (if you have the ability) will net you a decent increase in performance alone. How I started on mine was all bolt ons; intake, intake manifold, throttle body, full catless exhaust, Neptune engine management. Then went clutch and flywheel, suspension. Then the block build and turbo. Stock engine with a cam will be disappointing for you. Especially at stock compression, no matter what bolt ons you've added. I'd save the cam til after the build.

·
Premium Member
Honda City
2,438 Posts
Changing the flywheel has no effect on outright power. A 70mm TB will kill any low-mid range throttle response.

A stage 2 cam + compression (shave the head a tiny bit) + tune. You can re-use 2 of the 3 things when you go turbo. You'd just need to change the pistons to drop compression when you go turbo.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,291 Posts
Changing the flywheel has no effect on outright power. A 70mm TB will kill any low-mid range throttle response.

A stage 2 cam + compression (shave the head a tiny bit) + tune. You can re-use 2 of the 3 things when you go turbo. You'd just need to change the pistons to drop compression when you go turbo.
With PROPER tuning, the higher compression can be managed even with boost. You cannot trust some backyard yahoo from a forum though....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts