Honda D Series Forum banner

4.25 or 4.9 final drive with small turbo ?

• Keep the stock 4.25 gearbox

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Install the 4.9 final drive

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Curious George
'99 LX Civic Sedan
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stock 4.25 or 4.9 with my small ihi turbo ?

I have a 4.9 final drive on the shelf, but It was for N/A setup. Should I use it or let the stock EX gearbox ?

Thank you

·
Registered
1996 Civic Type DX
4,167 Posts
Use it. If traction is too much of a problem, use a MFactory 3.083 1st and DX mainshaft/CS 2nd.

·
Curious George
'99 LX Civic Sedan
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Use it. If traction is too much of a problem, use a MFactory 3.083 1st and DX mainshaft/CS 2nd.
I don't want to sell it, you got me a nice deal, but I just wanted to know what about people ever tried this kind of setup.

If I loose too much traction, perhaps I would invest in lsd differential, and semi-slick for street :)

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
id keep it and like chris said, if you ahve to much of an issue switch out the 1st gear. That should be fun as shit with that little turbo and a 4.9

·
noob
95 Civic Coupe
2,012 Posts
i would say keep the 4.9 and get the 1st gear....im running the gear x 1gear and 4.9 final drive and its a blast to drive, of course im not turbo either tho. :(

·
Curious George
'99 LX Civic Sedan
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my power goals aren't past 300whp, more around 200whp to start and once block built and a bit bigger turbo, not too far of 280whp would be nice.

·
Curious George
'99 LX Civic Sedan
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no need of closer gear on turbo setup, only overall shorter gear would be more than enough.

·
Curious George
'99 LX Civic Sedan
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your not worried about the RPM drop each gear?
If spool time is very fast, it's not an issue. If I have 200tq+ pushing, even a bit longer gear, it will move fast. Playing perfectly with gearing is often something to check when you build naturally aspirated, less tq, need closer gear to stay in powerband.

I have somehwere else to put the money than buying a complete set of gear. I think y8 gearbox and 4.9FD would be close enough for my needs. I don't go on track, I have nothing to prove, only my own real pleasure when I'm driving my car alone.

·
Registered
90 civic si
1,536 Posts
If spool time is very fast, it's not an issue. If I have 200tq+ pushing, even a bit longer gear, it will move fast. Playing perfectly with gearing is often something to check when you build naturally aspirated, less tq, need closer gear to stay in powerband.

I have somehwere else to put the money than buying a complete set of gear. I think y8 gearbox and 4.9FD would be close enough for my needs. I don't go on track, I have nothing to prove, only my own real pleasure when I'm driving my car alone.
:3dbiggrin:

thats what it should be about its just supposed to be fun for you:clap: rep

·
Curious George
'99 LX Civic Sedan
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:3dbiggrin:

thats what it should be about its just supposed to be fun for you:clap: rep
Lol !

My car is for me, I don't go on track, I don't give shit to anybody. Sometimes I like to race at red light, but 95% of time I'm alone on the way, sometimes giving ride to my friends.

I have nothing to impress, I'm not involved in race team or something like that. I have also nothing to prove perhaps only to myself to do better next time and be happier.

I have all my humble knowledge and experience to share with people, nothing to hide and keep for myself like some.

I've saw so many people trying to be the best at the tracks, putting huge shitloads of money in cars, only that was existing. No life, no real girlfriends, not much friends, no furnitures and NOTHING, all pay checks were going in the car, all free times were also in the car. CAR and tracks, that's all.

Their lives were broken when they were pass by somebody faster. Like hitting them with a mace, deeply depress, like gambling. Cars are fun but we have to keep some limits. There is always somebody better and faster than us.

Thank you

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Lol !

My car is for me, I don't go on track, I don't give shit to anybody. Sometimes I like to race at red light, but 95% of time I'm alone on the way, sometimes giving ride to my friends.

I have nothing to impress, I'm not involved in race team or something like that. I have also nothing to prove perhaps only to myself to do better next time and be happier.

I have all my humble knowledge and experience to share with people, nothing to hide and keep for myself like some.

I've saw so many people trying to be the best at the tracks, putting huge shitloads of money in cars, only that was existing. No life, no real girlfriends, not much friends, no furnitures and NOTHING, all pay checks were going in the car, all free times were also in the car. CAR and tracks, that's all.

Their lives were broken when they were pass by somebody faster. Like hitting them with a mace, deeply depress, like gambling. Cars are fun but we have to keep some limits. There is always somebody better and faster than us.

Thank you
have you been watching me secretly??? hehehehe:fawk:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts