Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
True story, I bought the car like that & to top it off, its 2.5 straight pipe so you can only imagine how much my car sounds like a raging weed whacker.

I know this should have been one of the first things I should of changed but as a college kid its not easy to spend money on 'wants' before handling the 'needs' and so far this car has had its fair share of 'needs'

So now it comes time to change the exhaust system and im not sure where to head with it.... my budget is around $150 (not a, lot I know, but its all I can afford to spend right now)

I just want something with a nice smooth deep tone, maybe something quiet? But i know thats not really possible because I dont have a cat.
Ill also be getting headers soon but most likely generic no name egay headers.

Any help is appreciated. Thank You

·
Registered
841 Posts
With that budget your not gonna get nothing besides a shitty ebay exhuast setup.

Your best is to save up the money and suck it up so you can get some thing good, my new exhuast setup is gonna be dc sport headers, 2.25 piping back to a vibrant black muffler and will also have a highflow cat, best sounding muffler ive ever heard besides the apexi WS2 and spoon n1 exhuast. just some thing to hold me over until i finish gathering up my turbo stuff.

Buy a set of ebay headers, get some pipe and a cat, and check out ES tunning mufflers or vibrant black mufflers, check out some youtube clips as well for sounds references, the vibrant black muffler you can find for 115$, ebay headers for about 40$ if not lower or higher and i dont know what the price on pipe for ya would be.

I just go down to the local shop and have them do all the stuff like bends and welding and all. If i would say hey put all this stuff on for me they would charge me about 200$.

You gotta pay to play bud

·
Pew Pew!
EJ6
3,509 Posts
Get a vibrant universal muffler and weld it on yourself. Them mufflers go for about wun hunnad LMAO ($100)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Understood, but I think I worded my post wrong, Im just looking to change the muffler, and the headers, not all the piping because I think ill be fine with 2.5. Sorry

But I guess ill look into vibrant mufflers, thanks guys.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
I think you made me puke in my mouth, there junk and to damn loud.

And theres is nothing wrong with vibrant mufflers, check out the vibrant black muffler and get some ebay headers and youll be happy, enough said.
Whys that? I have had one for 5+ years(I did whack the muffler off and replace it with a good 2.5 center in/out muffler) but for less then $150 the pipe has held up great...

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
Whys that? I have had one for 5+ years(I did whack the muffler off and replace it with a good 2.5 center in/out muffler) but for less then $150 the pipe has held up great...
I was gonna say the same thing. I had one that looked just like it on my 2000 Prelude years ago. I welded a Magnaflow muffler on it, and loved it. Even before the Magnaflow, it didnt sound bad at all. Decent fitment and all. For the price, you get a resonator, hangers, and piping. Just replace the muffler. Cant really beat it.

And it doesnt rust.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Go to Advance Auto, look at their Thrush Turbo mufflers. Get the biggest one they have and it'll sound much quieter.

On a side note, I have 2.5" crushbent from the turbo to a OEM Mazdaspeed Protege muffler, it's literally the same as a stock civic at idle, then you can hear it a little when I'm in boost. No cat, resonator, etc.

·
Formally known as SPONSOREDCRX
3,566 Posts
I had a flowmaster setup on my crx. Quiet as hell! It was a Delta flow 40 series. You could barely hear it idle. I got some vids.

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YEuN7pD2Hf4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That was with a stage 2 cam and a huge hole in the muffler. When I replaced it for a new one it was as quiet as stock at idle with a nice throaty tone towards redline.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts