Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok , i have read a abit about this topic on a few website and a few people who build engines and most say that soch and turbo with or with-out vtec is not the biggest difference, is this true? i mean if you look at all the build 400hp build d-series engines theay are all vtec, right? so i was thinking what the dofference would be to not go with the vtec head but just get a stage two cam? any opinions.... this is for a boosted civic, FYI i am going to run it tuned in stock engine components for a while but i have a full build read in the closet when the time comes... will be tuned on dyno and my goals for the futer are about ~300+ hp.

·
Registered
DB2, EM1, EG6
140 Posts
....so i was thinking what the dofference would be to not go with the vtec head but just get a stage two cam? any opinions....
Huh?

stg, 2 cam...... as in x-vtec cyl. head and just run aftermarket camshaft. Well lets compare for a sec...

Vtec Long Block setups make anywhere from 120-130ish HP.
X-Vtec Long Block setups make anywhere from 70-90ish HP.

While camshafts do quite a bit, a particular camshaft probaly wont meet up to the HP level of a vtec cyl. head, IMO. But, dont get me wrong - i enjoy the non vtec guys and forced induction. They are actually really enjoyable street cars b/c there isn't a big crossover in the middle of the RPM band which usually causes traction issues (more so on B series stuff here). In reality - if the world was perfect, grab you a Z6 or Y8 block. Since i dont think that is what we are working with in your case, turbo what you got. Forget the camshaft. Vtec or non, the hell with it - get a good quality turbo kit and good quality tune. Drive it, get use to it. Then after awhile take that extra money i saved you and buy some head studs and switch to vtec cyl. head and retune - enjoy!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh ok thanks, i do have a vtec head on my turbo civic now its just that it needs to get re-built. how much harder is it to tune a vtec car versus a non vtec car?

·
Registered
43 Posts
If it helps, I use a ported d16y4 non-vtec head (same as the d16y7 head) with the stock cam and it's been good for 360whp thus far (it won't be more than 400whp with the final tune most likely).

I'd try using whatever you have at the moment - you can always swap heads or put a cam in later.

·
Registered
DB2, EM1, EG6
140 Posts
oh ok thanks, i do have a vtec head on my turbo civic now its just that it needs to get re-built. how much harder is it to tune a vtec car versus a non vtec car?
the tune sessions are about the same - you just have to adjust for the crossover in the VTACKKK! vs. no crossover. So, basically no difference execpt a couple pushes of extra buttons...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts